Rope instead of straps?

Shanman

Have any of you guys used rope instead of straps to stabilize a ladder stand? The ones that crisscross behind the tree and dog off at the ladder. I'm wondering if I can use the rope in order to get away from the solid black straps. I know deer don't care but the included straps just stick out like a sore thumb and trying to avoid attention when on public land.

MickThompson

Shanman":2gyozgjh said:
Have any of you guys used rope instead of straps to stabilize a ladder stand? The ones that crisscross behind the tree and dog off at the ladder. I'm wondering if I can use the rope in order to get away from the solid black straps. I know deer don't care but the included straps just stick out like a sore thumb and trying to avoid attention when on public land.

You're propping a 17' steel ladder in the woods, and the strap 17' up the tree is what you're worried about someone seeing? There isn't any hiding a ladder on public land. It will get found by someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanman

I agree you can't hide a stand, but steps can be taken so that they are not as noticeable from a distance once the leaves fall. Those black ratchet straps and black stabilizer straps are always the first thing that catches my eye when I see others stands out hunting.

greg ballard

I'm a total newbie to it but the saddle route won't be seen nor my steps unless I'm using them and in the saddle----8 pounds or so to carry around--perfect for public land.
We have ladders on our lease

Mike Belt

I've found quite a few stands from the back side without ever seeing the stand just because of those black straps. It's not that the deer would notice them but another person would.