Roosting tips

woodsman87

Roost 1 said:
All these are great points...just wondering have any of you roosted a bird the night before only to come back the next morning and he not be there?

I have never observed or heard of except for right here. That is very interesting. I thought that turkeys night vision was very poor. I just would always figure he wasn't gobbling or that he was spooked and stayed in his tree motionless and silent.

Andy S.

Poser said:
I've busted them out of their roosts in the dark plenty of times while deer hunting.
Back in the day when I coon hunted a lot, I oftentimes would do the same. They would scare the dickens out of us when they launched and took flight. :)

J-WO

I don't roost them often,but it does help me cancel out a track of land. We hunt a lot of small farms within a few miles of each other. The afternoon before hunting i'll go to at least one and listen/look for them flying up. If there's no luck,I know not to bother with that farm at first light.

whiskey

It's not that hard if you have fields and the birds are roosting near the field. I have roosted them watching from binos a few hundred yards out. The sitting in the woods for hours before dark and then sitting there till after dark, just to roost one isn't my cup of tea.

Roost 1

whiskey said:
It's not that hard if you have fields and the birds are roosting near the field. I have roosted them watching from binos a few hundred yards out. The sitting in the woods for hours before dark and then sitting there till after dark, just to roost one isn't my cup of tea.

Exactly...... All I need to know is if they are in or around a particular field in the evening.....

hcdeerman

I'll have to say my roosting is all about the spot I'm hunting the next day. When hunting big crop fields or pastures, it's almost a necessity for me to have one spotted beforehand in order to get set up the next morning without being busted. The large open areas I hunt will get daylight too soon to move on a gobbler if you wait for him to gobble on the limb. If I'm hunting timber then I'm waiting on the first gobble at daylight to form a game plan.

woodsman87

hcdeerman said:
I'll have to say my roosting is all about the spot I'm hunting the next day. When hunting big crop fields or pastures, it's almost a necessity for me to have one spotted beforehand in order to get set up the next morning without being busted. The large open areas I hunt will get daylight too soon to move on a gobbler if you wait for him to gobble on the limb. If I'm hunting timber then I'm waiting on the first gobble at daylight to form a game plan.

If they see you like you say, try listening in the edges of the woods, and don't cross the open field during the day light. Walk on the edge of the woods/field.

Latest posts