Rock island 1911

grizzlylongcut

I just got my first rock island and im wondering what kind of custom stuff would yall would do to it. Since it is a plain jane 1911

meat hunter

If you didn't get the tactical RIA the first thing I would do is replace the crappy trigger. Then add a beavertail and some decent sights.

Greg M

The possibilities of modifying a 1911 are literally endless. I have been seriously looking at picking up a RIA GI just as a project to build a race gun. From everything I've read on various forums, they are a great buy out of the box, but again, every 1911 can be improved ou of the box.

Some ideas I have in addition to sights and a beavertail are fitting the slide, replacing the barrel with a Nowlin or Barstow gunsmith fit barrel, trigger, fitting your sear/ hammer to have a perfect neutral fit, lots of polishing in critical areas, extended slide release, extended mag release. That's enough to get you started in about a grand worth of needed tools alone not counting parts. The real answer is shoot a few hundred rounds through it, then start making changes so you can see what you like and what you don't. Unless you are building a race gun, you should start small.

meat hunter

grizzlylongcut said:
Yes its the tactical... I was thinking about making it a two tone

The only thing the RIA Tactical "needs" is a set of better grips. Hogues feel great and I really like the VZ gripe too. IMO that gun is the best 1911 by far for the money. Matter of fact I had one that would shoot with any Kimber or Springer I ever saw and it was half the price of those.

Latest posts