Rock hunting on a river?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The vast majority of my searching for arrowheads has been done in creeks.
I hear people talk about looking in a river every once in a while.

Say you are at KY lake and you come up to an island, would you just walk the water's edge in areas like that?

Or Just walk the bank of any river and look near the water's edge?

Just curious.

Oh and I know, or I am pretty sure, that inside LBL it is illegal to look for them.

Lost Lake

Anywhere from the waters edge up to and including the steep bank will produce points. I'd even check in the first few feet of the water too. I've never been a big riverbank hunter, but I've heard the Coast Guard watches for relic hunters and it might be illegal on TVA controlled waters.

Good luck if you get to go.

WGK

As a kid here in Loudon Co we walked the river banks a lot. I never have been able to understand why it is now illegal. I found some pretty nice stuff walking these river banks back in the 70s.

gadwall

RUGER":3bi20aol said:
The vast majority of my searching for arrowheads has been done in creeks.
I hear people talk about looking in a river every once in a while.

Say you are at KY lake and you come up to an island, would you just walk the water's edge in areas like that?

Or Just walk the bank of any river and look near the water's edge?

Just curious.

Oh and I know, or I am pretty sure, that inside LBL it is illegal to look for them.

If you're on KY Lake, watch for National Wildlife Refuge boundary; it is illegal on the refuge. I'm not sure about TVA land in general though.

cbhunter

sometimes you will find them on the waters edge, in the water or even on the top of the island. there are different things to watch for in order to know where to start looking. a lot of your steep banks that have some beach before dropping off into the water are great places to start. like others have said, there are places that you could get into trouble. just ask 2 of my uncles who were caught on the NWR on the TN river. they were approached by guys with fully automatic weapons, bulletproof vests and all. (full tactical gear) they had to take mugshots right there on the beach. I cant recall if they found any arrowheads on them but I'm pretty sure they confiscated a couple. went to court and they more less had to pay some fines and were told that if they were ever caught again, it would not be good.

dg7080

Thats where I picked this pretty one up, washing out of the river bank very near the waters edge.. I've not found a lot of points, but most of the stuff I've picked up have been along the edge of the river..

cbhunter

dg7080":vuparral said:
Thats where I picked this pretty one up, washing out of the river bank very near the waters edge.. I've not found a lot of points, but most of the stuff I've picked up have been along the edge of the river..
Nice rock. I too have picked up most of mine along a river bank. I find a few in plowed fields but a whole one I hard to come by

landman

I know of some mussel drivers that have found pockets covered in points while underwater, they think these could have been old Indian graves
that the water had washed the soil away

AllOutdoors

I know several guys that walk the tn river when the water is down.

Sent from this smart thingamajig using tapatalk.

Crow Terminator

It is not illegal to hunt for arrowheads on the river banks. This is signed into law by Jimmy Carter under the ARPA law. You are limited to what you can and cannot do.

But walking the banks, and picking up points that are laying on top exposed by erosion...is perfectly legal. It's actually a federal law. You can't dig for them...you can't sift for them...and you can't dive for them. I advise you to look up the ARPA law and print out the section that says it is LEGAL to pick up points exposed by erosion, and carry it on your persons. There are a LOT of un informed people out there on this and will try to tell you that it is illegal. But it is not.

Rockhound

Crow Terminator":1q1r65tq said:
It is not illegal to hunt for arrowheads on the river banks. This is signed into law by Jimmy Carter under the ARPA law. You are limited to what you can and cannot do.

But walking the banks, and picking up points that are laying on top exposed by erosion...is perfectly legal. It's actually a federal law. You can't dig for them...you can't sift for them...and you can't dive for them. I advise you to look up the ARPA law and print out the section that says it is LEGAL to pick up points exposed by erosion, and carry it on your persons. There are a LOT of un informed people out there on this and will try to tell you that it is illegal. But it is not.

you been doing any detecting lately?

cbhunter

Crow Terminator":2j7m2k6s said:

When I said my uncle and them got checked, they were on the river bank but were on the National Wildlife Refuge portion of it. Inside the refuge (not on river bank) there are signs stating it is illegal to remove any artifacts. I assure you that they take it very serious on that portion of the river.
I, by all means, am not arguing what you are saying and agree with you to an extent, however, if anyone is walking the riverbank on the refuge, the rules are different from the rest of the river.

Latest posts