Remington Primers

MUP

Bc I shot those cci's at 100% success rate that's how. Pretty good evidence I believe when I load identical loads except for a primer change and have perfect ignition. Also the indentation in the primers is deep, no light strike I'm fairly confident.

Hunter 257W

I know the CCI's shot 100% in that rifle but that doesn't necessarily mean the Remingtons won't also fire 100% in another rifle. Of course the normal firing pin indentation IS a good indicator of everything being within spec for your rifle's ability to set off a primer. Just trying to save you from having to throw out any components with the cost of primers these days. You know how it is sometimes when trying to troubleshoot a failure and you see things that make no sense, such as a part that fails in one place but not another for no apparent reason. If they were mine, i'd not throw those Remingtons out till i tried them in another rifle.

Hunter 257W

My previously referenced Marlin 336 is one example of weird failures that make no sense. When I 1st put the Wolf main spring in the rifle, I shot about 50 shots with zero failures to fire. Then using the same components I loaded another 50 rounds and all of a sudden I had many many primer failures. If those last 50 rounds had been fired 1st, it could have given the impression that something was wrong with those primers. However, that wasn't the case and the indentation did look normal too. I even put 1 then 2 small washers on the end of the Wolf mainspring to raise the spring force a bit. That reduced the misfires some but still had at least 1/3 to 1/2 misfires with that. Why did it fire 50 rounds perfectly then suddenly start crapping up with primers from the same box? Who knows? When i put the factor main spring back in the rifle, those primers started firing 100% again.

MUP

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is, as you well know, frustrating to say the least. I may go ahead and shoot those WSM loads now, if nothing else it'll just be more proof one way or another. Good thing I like to shoot. :D

jlanecr500

Any drag what so ever increases lock time and lessens firing pin striking force. Mup, I did some research the other day after my previous post. I found that when Remington started making the models 783 and 710, the machining is not as good and furthermore the design isn't as good either. This helps them get the rifle to a lower price point but causes other issues.

For example. I am a die hard Savage guy. But, since they redesigned the internal bolt parts around the time when the bottom bolt release came out, I have seen a few that have issues. Especially with the Axis series. The fix on ALL of them has been to disassemble the bolt and polish contact areas of the firing pin and other internal bolt parts. I found that shimming the spring in order to have more striking force sometimes creates more friction, thus defeating the purpose.

MUP

Update

Remington has sent a return shipping kit for me to return the faulty primer loads to them for testing. I also got a call from the product management director from his personal cell phone. He was very interested in finding the problem, and I offered all the info I could to help them make a determination as to what the issue is. He thanked me for being willing to take the time to contact the company and said I will be helping them pinpoint the problem. That's good customer service, and I have no reason to believe that Remington will not make good on this customer's satisfaction. ;)

Hunter 257W

Let us know what they determine. Even though it's a pain in the obama to run these kinds of problems down sometimes, it's always better to know the real problem rather than just figuring out how to hold your mouth to prevent it from happening. I know I've sure done that a lot myself! :) (Holding my mouth right rather than tracking the problem down that is. )