Remington 1100 Magnum

WilcoKen

I have a buddy looking to buy a Remington 1100 Magnum. He has a couple of questions. First, the barrel is marked 3 inch shells. I would assume this 1100 could also shoot 2-3/4 inch shells? Also, he would like to know if it could shoot steel shot. I told him I would not recommend steel if it is an older model 1100. I have an old 870 that I shoot bismuth in. This would be used for waterfowl. The 1100 he is looking at is listed for $500. He states that it is about 98% on condition. I think that is an excellent deal.

WilcoKen

I agree. What do you think about shooting 2-3/4"? My 870 SuperMag says 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2 on barrel. That 1100 only says 3". Surely it doesn't matter. Just don't shoot 3-1/2.

david k.

I remembered reading some of this years ago but I looked it up to be sure...I found this on the web:

"The 3 inch Magnum 1100 was designed to function with 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch Magnum lead shells. The Magnum guns had a factory recoil pad, heavier action bar and according to some sources a heavier bolt."

Later in the same article it said, "Along came steel shot and many early three inch steel shot loads would not develop enough pressure to function Magnum guns. This and the fixed full choke was not ideal for steel shot."

Does that shotgun have a fixed full choke?

I'm not a duck hunter...so I don't want to give advice on whether or not it would be safe with steel shot but my guess is that the shotgun would be able to shoot 2 3/4 shells provided he keeps the action clean...but its possible that it might not cycle low powered loads very well.

Last edited:

WilcoKen

I remembered reading some of this years ago but I looked it up to be sure...I found this on the web:

"The 3 inch Magnum 1100 was designed to function with 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch Magnum lead shells. The Magnum guns had a factory recoil pad, heavier action bar and according to some sources a heavier bolt."

Later in the same article it said, "Along came steel shot and many early three inch steel shot loads would not develop enough pressure to function Magnum guns. This and the fixed full choke was not ideal for steel shot."

Does that shotgun have a fixed full choke?

I'm not a duck hunter...so I don't want to give advice on whether or not it would be safe with steel shot but my guess is that the shotgun would be able to shoot 2 3/4 shells provided he keeps the action clean...but its possible that it might not cycle low powered loads very well.
Thank you for this info. It has a fixed modified choke.

FourWFarm

My old 3" barrels would not function with regular 2 3/4" loads.
I actually bought a 2 3/4" barrel and put it on the 3" magnum frame it worked flawlessly.

The gas release holes in the barrel of a 3" barrel are different than a 2 3/4" barrel.

WilcoKen

I actually bought a 2 3/4" barrel and put it on the 3" magnum frame it worked flawlessly.

The gas release holes in the barrel of a 3" barrel are different than a 2 3/4" barrel.
He's wanting less recoil so 3" may not work. He went ahead and bought the 1100.

Cedar Ridge

Same for me. The 1100 magnum specifically stated 3" ( no mention of 2 3/4) and it would not cycle them.

Jeff43

This, I have one , and it WILL NOT function 2 3/4" shells. I bought a 2 3/4" 1100 rem choke barrel and it works fine with light load ammo. The 3" magnum barrel has only 1 gas hole in the barrel , where the 1100 2 3/4" barrel has 2