Remington 1100

Atchman2

Why are 1100's selling for so much? Just a question. I bought mine in 1975 for $225. That was a lot of money to save up since I was only fifteen years old and minimum wage was like $2 per hour. I had to sell it to feed my family in my 20's. The good thing is it ended up in the hands of one of my best friends, so it has a happy home.

There are just so many nice shotguns made today. Is it the collector's value or was it truly something special?

Bart

They're not being made anymore although there are plenty out there. I bought one in 1973 and shot thousands of shells with it. Quail, chukar, pheasant, dove, rabbits, sporting clays, skeet, trap and more.
Never had a single misfire, never a jam, very little maintenance.
Lost favor with some because not being as versatile as some of the newer competition. (switching between 2 3/4 " 3" and 3 1/2"
I would not hesitate to drop some coins on one in good condition.

PalsPal

I saw a guy set up at a community yard sale last year that had 6-8 of them for sale.

If I remember correctly, $800 was the lowest priced one.

WilcoKen

I see value in them because of the name and popularity they once had. I have been loyal to Remington for years. It's a shame that parts etc are becoming so hard to find. I've got an 1100 from late 70s, and a 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge from late 60s. Both are in excellent condition and it is a treat to hunt with them. They are iconic to me.

Davyalabama

The 1100 is/was an awesome gun that just works/worked. It shouldered very well for a lot of people, much like old Winchester shotguns and rifles, they were/are true pointers. They didn't need that much care unless you were a trap shooter and shot thousands of rounds through them.

Yes, they have/had a few downsides. The 3" magnum barrel didn't like shooting 2 3/4' loads, so you had to totally change barrels and get a 2 3/4 barrel or vice versa. I'm not aware of a 3 1/2" 1100 as has been mentioned, but hey, we learn something new everyday. The older parts are getting hard to find. It didn't come with screw in chokes like a lot of people want today. Last on this short list, it isn't compatible with steel shot, 1980's, or the newer hevishot and TSS loads. Remington came out with the 11-87 to remedy help with that last part.

To answer the OP's question, I have no idea why they are bringing that kind of coin. Then, you look at lever guns, they are bringing $1,200 for a middling 45-70. When I say "middling," I'm talking about a noncollectors gun, but just a plain shooters gun.

DaveTN

Is it the collector's value or was it truly something special?
Both. They owned the shotgun market for years. They were outstanding quality up until closure due to bankruptcy. I don't think their prices are much, if any, higher than those trying to copy them. Their accuracy is legendary.

We will see if the new offerings have the same quality the 1100 was known for.

I have an 1100 Competition Synthetic that I'm pretty sure will never be made again. They are bringing as much as $2500 on GB. So, I'll be putting mine there soon. :)

Atchman2

The 1100 is/was an awesome gun that just works/worked. It shouldered very well for a lot of people, much like old Winchester shotguns and rifles, they were/are true pointers. They didn't need that much care unless you were a trap shooter and shot thousands of rounds through them.

Yes, they have/had a few downsides. The 3" magnum barrel didn't like shooting 2 3/4' loads, so you had to totally change barrels and get a 2 3/4 barrel or vice versa. I'm not aware of a 3 1/2" 1100 as has been mentioned, but hey, we learn something new everyday. The older parts are getting hard to find. It didn't come with screw in chokes like a lot of people want today. Last on this short list, it isn't compatible with steel shot, 1980's, or the newer hevishot and TSS loads. Remington came out with the 11-87 to remedy help with that last part.

To answer the OP's question, I have no idea why they are bringing that kind of coin. Then, you look at lever guns, they are bringing $1,200 for a middling 45-70. When I say "middling," I'm talking about a noncollectors gun, but just a plain shooters gun.
Well the answer is pretty easy I think "It is what the market will bare". I loved my old 1100. it was sentimental since it was the first gun I saved up my money as a kid and bought. I even know the guy that has it! I'd easily pay 5 times what I paid for it to get it back. That is only for the sentiment. If I were going to spend big money on a shotgun again, I would just get a modern reputable one.

I had a Bennelli for awhile that was stolen. I loved that one too!

Now I have less sentiment. I'd just buy a nice Stoeger and use it for my hunting gun. My brother has a couple and his are wonderful to shoot.

Methane

Are barrels available that can shoot steel,, hevishot, etc,? I've got an old one, probably 1972 or '73, that's in excellent condition and I might want to use it sometime. I didn't know the barrel couldn't handle that stuff.

Woodman

Why are 1100's selling for so much? Just a question. I bought mine in 1975 for $225. That was a lot of money to save up since I was only fifteen years old and minimum wage was like $2 per hour. I had to sell it to feed my family in my 20's. The good thing is it ended up in the hands of one of my best friends, so it has a happy home.

There are just so many nice shotguns made today. Is it the collector's value or was it truly something special?
Just food for thought, but $225 dollars in 1975 is the equivalent of $1,260 in 2023 ....... normal inflation effects everything over time. Look at the 1975 price of cars, food items or anything else compared to todays prices.

Kirk

I have my Dads Remington 110 12 gauge from the mid 70's. I have 6 barrels with it. It is versatile. The Hastings Rifled slug barrel he bought as an aftermarket in the 1980's is very accurate. I added a turkey barrel with choke a few years ago.

Davyalabama

On a barrel to shoot TSS out of an 1100, not that I know of unless you can get an aftermarket barrel for it. What I would do if I really wanted to shoot TSS out of my 1100 is put the original barrel away and buy a used 3" magnum barrel and shoot it until the end warps, then buy another one. It isn't going to explode on you, it supposedly will warp near the end.

rukiddin

What I'd give to find a 1100 Special purpose with the parkerized finish either new in the box or like new. I'd settle for a 11-87.
I've seen a handful but they were all "well used"…………….

348Winchester

When my neighbor/best friend died in 2009 he left me a pristine 1100 12 gauge and a pristine model 700 30-06 he bought when he came home from Nam in 72. The only way I would trade them would be to get him back.

Latest posts