Remington #11 caps

Killing time

Been using Remington #10 or #11's for 17 years. No issues. But this year, i bought a new tin of Remington #11's, and they keep falling off the nipple and even had a couple duds on the range. Anyone else having this problem ? I switched to CCI #11's. Seem like they fit on the nipple better.

Grill-n-man

Had problems with remingtons years ago not firing so quit using them and use only CCIs or Vol??? something cant spell it. May be time to change out the nipple. Had one several years ago that had a lot of no fires and found the end was flattened out a little. Also on a side lock the hammer hits the nipple at just an ever so slight angle, unlike an inline where the nipple is struck with a straight more seven strike, this could cause the nipple end to flare/ flatten. Also most don't think of this but thru out years of use taking caps on and off can wear the nipple. Even very small amounts of basically metal rubbing on metal will cause some wear. With caps and nipples it doesn't take a lot. Also size varies just a tad from manufacturer to manufacturer. Example I have a Traditions 1858 Remington 44 revolver that shoots #10s and some are a pain to get on/off and some will simply just fall off. Also have a Traditions trapper 50 cal pistol that's supposed to take #11, but they are loose and #10 are a little to tight. I would change the nipple as they are cheap and if that doesn't work it won't hurt to have a spare. If you change nipples and failure to fire stops but the cap is still loose PM me and I will tell you how to fix that.

Grill-n-man

Same caps doing the same thing in two different guns, I would say you are correct. Get some new ones but I would save those and use them for clearing out nipple and flash channel after cleaning.

Wobblyshot1

Most of the shooters at the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association matches that shoot percussion are using CCI or RWS caps. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Remingtons, but.....

As a Sidebar the local Academy Sports had plenty of CCIs for $4.99 a tin while Walley Mart was carrying Remingtons at, I think $7.99. No brainer.

Methane

I had the same issue with the Remington caps. Even after a new nipple. The CCIs fit snug and never have any issues with them.

Latest posts