Reference book for novice?

Dog on Point

OK folks y'all have given me the bug.
We live on the West Harpeth outside of Franklin. My 8y/o (the next Indiana Jones)and I have been searching the sandbars and shallow water areas a couple of afternoons each week for arrowheads, indian tools, fossils etc. and have managed to find a couple of nice points and fossils.
My question, is there a book that I could purchase so we could get a visual on other items to be looking for? Can't help but believe in this area we are overlooking things we don't recognize. Just scanning through the pics and comments in this forum has been very helpful.

Growing up in Lawrence County we could walk the creek beds leading up to the Buffalo and find lots of flint arrowheads,but
the points that we have found to date in the West Harpeth have all been a dark brown stone, which unfortunately is the same color as every other dadgum rock in our river. Tough to pick em out!

splitter

yeah the overstreet book is amazing i have 2 versions, the latest one is amazing, adds new points each addition. i sent 3 points in hoping that they might get published and i know (well so far) 2 of them are gonna be. a buffalo river chert Big Sandy and Lost Lake. but this book is well worth it

Latest posts