Reduced 30-06 load

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I am biting at the bit to go hunting but a broke thumb has me hemmed up.

I have looked all over for "managed recoil" rounds but no one has them (local and online).

I plan on going to the range next week and see if I can shoot. Will be either the 30-06 or 20ga 870. Dry fire exercises...steady aim and I can work the trigger with my middle finger.

Any reccomendations for a 30cal bullet that will expand well between 1500-1800fps and a powder load to go with it? I would say its time to tame the 06 but it aint no bruiser.

WTM

Longhunter said:
If you reload, you can load the 30-06 to light 30-40 Krag specifications. A 150 grain bullet over the beginning loads for the Krag will give mild recoil yet still have more than enough punch for deer.

+1 i got a load for 150gr RN sierra or speer(cant remember) in one of my books. seems like its about 2450 fps. ill pm u the load info if i can find it.

Tiny

Good advice above.

I have no doubt the Trial Boss would be shootable turns a center fire into a 22LR and real good fun. But don't think it would be usable to deer hunt with UNLESS under 50 and with carefull shot placement.However that is subjeect to change.

A lead cast would be a better bullet choice with it and MAYBE one of the 30 Cal Varmit bullets.Based on some testing I did with it,haven't done any with the varmit class bullets nor those for the 30/30 velocities,I question if one would get reliable enough expansion and peneration with it,you need both. ;)

I also think I would opt for either the BT or SST if useing it but I haven't tested them either.I did test some 8x57mm Hornday 150gr spt and 130gr cast bullets in a 30/30. At 25 yards the 30/30 would work for me but not the 8x57 got more than enough peneration but very little expansion.I believe one of the tipped would fare better and have shoot the SST in 30/06 very accurate but haven't had a chance to do an expansion test as yet.

One of the of the 30 Cal deer bullets at around 2500-2700 MLV would be a better choice and still wouldn't have much recoil in an 06,any lower book MLV I would Opt for one of the 30/30 bullets.

The Barnes 110 gr are another option.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Was thinking a cast boolit would be perfect...didnt even think about a 120gr (124gr) 30Carbine boolit. 06 might push it to hard though or might not have enough powder in the casing.

Good news though, after looking all over the place the other day, went for the surgery and it was delayed by an hour. Dicks was right around the corner and they had a shelf full of Managed recoil.

Bad news, my thumb is hurting worse than ever and the current cast is really bulky. Follow up on Friday, hopefully get the smaller cast.

WTM

here is a load that should work with a 2017 speer rn-sp, H4895, 42.0gr, col-3.130 at 2427 fps. h4895 is the powder hodgdon used to list in their 60% load data. that speer hot cor is a cup and core bullet that will expand and penetrate even at mild velocity.

good luck, hope your hand gets better.

jakeway

Left handed sounds like the best option, as long as the deer cooperate and come from that side. I always had trouble shooting left handed, and my son teased me about it a lot. This summer I practiced left hand shooting quite a bit, and last weekend shot a dandy doe left-handed. (She came in from the right, and was too close for me to move enough to shoot right handed.)

Latest posts