Recommend a cellular camera?

TNReb

I saw these are on sale. Are they worth a fart?

I'm looking for a cellular camera, preferably under $200.

Spurhunter

My son bought 3 Deltas last year. 1 is still working. Don't waste your money on Moultrie. Tactacam Reveal XB is the only way to go. I wouldn't take 5 Moultries or Spypoints for one of my Reveal XBs.

Andy S.

OP - for under $200, I'd recommend ONE Spartan GoCam 4G LTE (ATT or Verizon), or you could get TWO Reveal X Gen 2.0 (dual carrier, comes with both SIM cards) cameras for a few more dollars.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Unlike many others, I've not been very overall impressed with the Tactacams.
Suspect it's because have been using other makes & models now for years,
and have some basis for comparison.

When you do value comparisons, it's not just about the initial price point.

There is usually a logical reason for "cheap" & "cheaper".

Spurhunter

Unlike many others, I've not been very overall impressed with the Tactacams.
Suspect it's because have been using other makes & models now for years,
and have some basis for comparison.

When you do value comparisons, it's not just about the initial price point.

There is usually a logical reason for "cheap" & "cheaper".
I've been using other makes and models for years as well and also have a basis for comparison. However, I've never paid over $150 for a camera. The OP said he wanted to stay under $200. I'm sure if you are comparing a $500 camera to a $130 Reveal XB the $500 camera would win. But in the sub $150 camera comparison I've seen nothing that beats the XB. If there's something out there better at the same price point I'll glad switch brands.

rem270

I have 6 of the Tactacam Reveal X cams. I really like them and they've been great. I guess if I do have a con on them is that sometimes the pics can be a little blurry when zooming in. But there's the option to make them HD for $5 for 50 pics and if there's a pic worthy enough for HD it's clear as can be.

TheLBLman

I've been using other makes and models for years as well and also have a basis for comparison. However, I've never paid over $150 for a camera.
Just to be clear, my comments about "for years" was meant here regarding only cell cams,
none of which have been available for $150 or less until fairly recently 🙂

But in the sub $150 camera comparison I've seen nothing that beats the XB.
At least on initial price point, you may very well be correct,
but that has not been my personal experience with Tactacam's $100 cell cam,
once the total cost of using x 2 years became disappointingly apparent.

Cost becomes a very different story when you look at the total costs of operation over say a 2 to 3 year time horizon. Of course, total costs include periodic battery replacements & monthly plan fees, but total costs also include any special trips solely just to check on or service a cam, for whatever reason it stopped working.

The true cost comparison between a more reliable & a less reliable cell cam becomes even more dramatic if you divide the total money spent by the total number of pics transmitted.

For cell cams in particular, absolute reliability x how long before you have to "service" the cams needs to be factored. A single extra trip annually for just the purpose of changing batteries or an SD card can totally negate even a substantial initial price discount. This is where longer battery life and higher SD card capacity becomes worth its weight in gold!

One thing commonly overlooked is a cell cam's programming features & reliability to actually get pictures of game that walks in front of it, then transmit those pics back to you. When this doesn't happen, you're paying for something you're not getting, and it's hard to put a "price" on that loss, as you don't know what you don't know.

I found the Tactacams to have an unacceptable "recovery" rate between triggering "events". This basically means there is a timeframe of so many seconds after the cam is triggered before it again becomes capable of being triggered again. And to compound that problem, the Tactacams would only transmit the 2nd pic of any pic volley (such as when you set your cam to take 2 or 3 pics per triggering event).

There are many times I want to see ALL the pics from a triggering event, and I don't want the cell cam to be unable to trigger a minute later just because it had triggered a minute earlier. This is how you totally miss older bucks following younger bucks.

I'm trying not to write a book here, so I'll just close by saying I've got numerous $200 cell cams that overall "do more", are much more reliable, less costly to operate over the their first 2 years of operation, and have provided important to me pics totally missed by the $100 Tactacams.

That's right, not only have the $200 cell cams provided a lot of pics missed by the $100 Tactacams, but total operational costs for the $200 cell cams has actually been less than for the $100 Tactacams in only 2 years.

Just to be clear, my Tactacam use has been limited to two units, their original $100 models.

Of course, Tactacam's subsequent models have been improved.
But then so have most competitors' subsequent models.

Just saying, there's more to the total costs than the initial price of the cam.

Spurhunter

I found the Tactacams to have an unacceptable "recovery" rate between triggering "events". This basically means there is a timeframe of so many seconds after the cam is triggered before it again becomes capable of being triggered again. And to compound that problem, the Tactacams would only transmit the 2nd pic of any pic volley (such as when you set your cam to take 2 or 3 pics per triggering event).
I agree with you. These are the only complaints I have about the Tactacams, but they are big issues.

Spurhunter

I've got numerous $200 cell cams that overall "do more", are much more reliable, less costly to operate over the their first 2 years of operation, and have provided important to me pics totally missed by the $100 Tactacams.

That's right, not only have the $200 cell cams provided a lot of pics missed by the $100 Tactacams, but total operational costs for the $200 cell cams has actually been less than for the $100 Tactacams in only 2 years.
I'd like to know which models these are. It sounds like they might become my camera of choice.

Andy S.

I have 6 of the Tactacam Reveal X cams. I really like them and they've been great. I guess if I do have a con on them is that sometimes the pics can be a little blurry when zooming in. But there's the option to make them HD for $5 for 50 pics and if there's a pic worthy enough for HD it's clear as can be.
This mirrors my experience with them as well. The only pics I have criticized are daytime "thumbnail" pics sent to the app (blurry and pixelated when zoomed in), but the HD photo request feature (50 HD photos for $5, does not expire) fixes that. This works for me since 99% of the photos I get on my app are fawns, does and small bucks that I truly have no additional interest in. The handful of good bucks I get, I request an HD photo and can then retrieve SD card if I need more higher quality photos of the three shot burst.

TheLBLman

True, however, initial price is extremely to most people due to the danger of theft. Nobody wants to put out an expensive camera that may be stolen.
That is a good point.

I commonly use steel lock boxes on mine to minimize this risk,
and like to place them so high, a ladder is needed to service,
eliminating any crime of convenience.
This also makes it "harder" for me to "service" the cams,
meaning long battery life and the ability to utilize 64gb or higher sd cards is important to me.

As to theft issues, many the cell cams now have a built in gps locator.
If someone steals your cam, you may be able to find where it went,
maybe get it back, and/or better yet, maybe prosecute the thief!

So it may be, theft risk is lower with cell cams.
After all, a would-be thief may correctly assume you already have his picture.

Mr.Bro

That is a good point.

I commonly use steel lock boxes on mine to minimize this risk,
and like to place them so high, a ladder is needed to service,
eliminating any crime of convenience.
This also makes it "harder" for me to "service" the cams,
meaning long battery life and the ability to utilize 64gb or higher sd cards is important to me.

As to theft issues, many the cell cams now have a built in gps locator.
If someone steals your cam, you may be able to find where it went,
maybe get it back, and/or better yet, maybe prosecute the thief!

So it may be, theft risk is lower with cell cams.
After all, a would-be thief may correctly assume you already have his picture.
LBL Man which cell cam are you using. Don't mind paying $200 for a really good cam. Thanks.

Latest posts