Recommend a cellular camera?

TheLBLman

LBL Man which cell cam are you using. Don't mind paying $200 for a really good cam. Thanks.
First, let me say I have zero experience with some brands, limited experience with most, and over the past couple years, my main personal experience has been with Brownings & Ridgetecs, along with a couple Tactacam units. But I have been using cell cams since Covert introduced its first cell cam many years ago.

That said, I have some good friends who are running numerous brands, running the gauntlet from Tactacams to Reconyx. Our combined "fleet" currently includes approximately 250 cell cams. We frequently discuss what is working best for us, and what seems to be the better values. It is not Tactacam for us.

Things are constantly changing, new, better technologies becoming available, and what was best a year or two ago, may not be today, but it may take a couple more years to realize that.

Going back 2 years and beyond, I've gotten my best overall value from the Browning brand. My models include some of their original cell cams (no longer manufactured, but have worked flawlessly, continuously year-round now for over 3 yrs).

The majority of my cell cams now are the Browning Defender Wireless Pro Scout. Most of these have been running continuously now for @ 2 years. Battery life is approximately twice that of the original Tactacam, and they use 8 AAs compared to 12 AAs with the Tactacam. You should only use lithium batteries with cell cams, and battery replacement cost can be one of your more significant ongoing expenses beyond the purchase price, as is a monthly (or yearly) service charge from the cam's manufacturer.

This particular Browning model is widely available and typically priced at $199.99.

These Browning models are comparatively feature-rich with fast recovery times between triggering events. They will accept up to 512gb sd cards (meaning you should never fill them even if you go over a year between visiting the cam sites). Unless I run video mode, I can typically go a year without filling a 64 gb card. Running video means you will have to replace batteries more often (no matter the brand/model), and you can quickly fill a 32gb card (the maximum size that can be used with Tactacam).

By the way, I do not recommend purchasing ANY "new" model of ANY brand until those new offerings have been thoroughly and scientifically reviewed by some real independent experts in comparing trail cams. Don't believe the advertisements. In 2021, Browning came out with a new model. It didn't meet quality control expectations, and I'm glad I didn't buy any those "new" units. Same can be said about many other brands & "new" models.

I'm sure my thoughts will change over time, but at least in the coming months, the only other brand/model I plan to add more are the Ridgetec Lookouts. They cost a little more than the above mentioned Brownings, but are far more feature-rich. I've been running 3 of these now for coming on 2 years. They are the closest thing to a Reconyx I've used.

This Ridgetec is both a higher performing & more feature rich cell cam than the Browning Defender Pro Scout. I suspect that is why battery life isn't as good, but looks like I'm getting approximately 6 months of everything I want from them per battery change.

Both the Brownings & the Ridgetecs can send pics (and pic notices) simultaneously to BOTH your email & your cell phone numbers.

Tactacam will only send pics to your smart phone (not your email address). Although I do review lots of pics initially on a smart phone, my preference is on the big screen of a computer. Can't easily do that with Tactacam. This alone is a big reason we don't like Tactacams, as we need to inventory & maintain pics long-term on a computer. That's a more cumbersome task when you can only initially receive them on your smart phone.

Note: Both Tactacam & other brands do save all pics taken on their sd cards. It's just that if I have to go retrieve the sd cards to easily view the pics on a large computer screen, that defeats part of the reasoning of going cellular in the first place.

Last edited:

tellico4x4

Bought the Reveal X in spring 2021 and it worked okay. Biggest complaint is false triggers with it, had to set sensitivity level to lowest setting (1) to keep from getting them even on plots. Hard time finding a place to get more than 1 bar as well.

Got an XB last week & it seems to be a better cam. With pic size set to 24mp the pictures sent to phone are much better than the X, both night & day. I checked it at places where the X only gets 1 bar & the XB is getting 3 bars in same spot. Makes me wonder how the dual antenna model works? May try one of them next.

BSK

I gotta' say, I've become a huge fan of Trailcampro's website, not only for purchasing cameras but very honest reviews.

TheLBLman

I gotta' say, I've become a huge fan of Trailcampro's website, not only for purchasing cameras but very honest reviews.
Same here.
Their reviews are valid scientific comparisons, and they tell it like it is. I think I discovered them not too long after we both discovered the Cuddeback No Flash cams were over-priced junk, and Trailcampro may have been the only seller letting customers know the truth.

Ever since their war with Cuddeback over their reviews, I've been a Trailcampro fan.

About the only time I don't buy cams from them is when I need more of a certain model, and they are out of stock.

I know you don't use the steel boxes, but theirs are significantly superior to those sold by most trail cam manufacturers. By contrast, the steel boxes sold by both Browning & Tactacam are junk.

BSK

I know you don't use the steel boxes, but theirs are significantly superior to those sold by most trail cam manufacturers. By contrast, the steel boxes sold by both Browning & Tactacam are junk.
Very interesting. I didn't know that. I will pass that info on to my clients.

Knothead

I have used Moultrie for the past 5-6 years, and while I have had a few hiccups with some of them, for the most part, I've been satisfied. However, they seem to be in a bit of a slump right now on their quality. Just ordered a new Delta Base -arrived last week. I put it up today. I noticed a rather loud, obnoxious clicking noise' soon after it takes a pic. It last for 10-20 seconds. With the acute hearing ability of a whitetail deer, there is no way they will hang around for a second pic. no idea why it make this noise and how it is corrected. This is not normal as I have another Base and it does not make that noise. This new one is apparently faulty. So, here we go with yet another exchange. 😩

Andy S.

Very interesting. I didn't know that. I will pass that info on to my clients.
IMO, the best engineered and thought out security boxes available are made by Camlockbox. They make them for just about every trail cam made. Trailcam Pro may carry them, I'm not sure. They look very similar.

I saw these are on sale. Are they worth a fart?

I'm looking for a cellular camera, preferably under $200.
I had two of these, sent them back and replaced them with tactacams.

Last edited:

CrossVolle

Steer clear of the Delta. Nothing but problems out of both of mine. Very near the dumpster.

If you can find the Moultrie 7000 series any where they are awesome. But the next year they went to the Delta and that thing is trash.

I think i am about to just bite the bullet and buy a couple Exodus Renders. Hard to beat the warranty and theft policy.

Kevo222

I have 6 of the Tactacam Reveal X cams. I really like them and they've been great. I guess if I do have a con on them is that sometimes the pics can be a little blurry when zooming in. But there's the option to make them HD for $5 for 50 pics and if there's a pic worthy enough for HD it's clear as can be.
What is the subscription cost on these? I'm still old school with SD card swap outs and no clue what the secondary costs are for cellular cams. Amazon has a 2-pack Reveal XB for $300 or 2-pack Reveal X Gen 2 for $245. Much difference between the 2 models? Thanks.

rem270

What is the subscription cost on these? I'm still old school with SD card swap outs and no clue what the secondary costs are for cellular cams. Amazon has a 2-pack Reveal XB for $300 or 2-pack Reveal X Gen 2 for $245. Much difference between the 2 models? Thanks.
$13 a month for 1 cam and $12 a month for any additional cam added. You can cancel your subscription at any time and pick it back up the next season if you wanted. I don't personally have any of the XB or Reveal X gen 2 cams but anyone I know that has the XB really likes them.

Antler Daddy

$13 a month for 1 cam and $12 a month for any additional cam added. You can cancel your subscription at any time and pick it back up the next season if you wanted. I don't personally have any of the XB or Reveal X gen 2 cams but anyone I know that has the XB really likes them.
did they raise fee? I thought I was only paying $5 per camera a month.

East TN Bowhunter

I have the Reveal XB and it is very sensitive and picks up anything and everything that moves in front of it. It does take 12 aa batteries and after 3 weeks i had to change batteries but i didnt have my settings right and it was taking a checkin pic every 12 hours along with a 2nd pic and a 15sec video every time it checked in. This time around im just doing 1 pic with a 3 minute delay, no video, no check in picture, and once a day picture dumps instead of instant. Hoping i can atleast get maybe 2 months on a set of batteries this way.
Lithium aa batteries, tactacam rechargeable battery pack, a 12v external or a solar panel would probably be the way to go. The latter 3 if you arent worried about someone stealing the cam along with the accessory.
The non hd pic they send to your phone is clear enough to count points on a buck from 15-20 yards away but when you zoom in it gets blurry and grainy. When i need a battery change, I go pull the sd card and get very high quality hd images along with 4k videos. I did request an hd image to my cellphone and to me it didnt look any different on my phone than the non hd one.
I dont have a lot of experience with other brands but overall besides the battery usage I'm very happy with the Reveal XB.

rem270

I have the Reveal XB and it is very sensitive and picks up anything and everything that moves in front of it. It does take 12 aa batteries and after 3 weeks i had to change batteries but i didnt have my settings right and it was taking a checkin pic every 12 hours along with a 2nd pic and a 15sec video every time it checked in. This time around im just doing 1 pic with a 3 minute delay, no video, no check in picture, and once a day picture dumps instead of instant. Hoping i can atleast get maybe 2 months on a set of batteries this way.
Lithium aa batteries, tactacam rechargeable battery pack, a 12v external or a solar panel would probably be the way to go. The latter 3 if you arent worried about someone stealing the cam along with the accessory.
The non hd pic they send to your phone is clear enough to count points on a buck from 15-20 yards away but when you zoom in it gets blurry and grainy. When i need a battery change, I go pull the sd card and get very high quality hd images along with 4k videos. I did request an hd image to my cellphone and to me it didnt look any different on my phone than the non hd one.
I dont have a lot of experience with other brands but overall besides the battery usage I'm very happy with the Reveal XB.
My battery life is excellent with my reveal X cams but I've never tried the video on then. With several pics a day I get 3 to 4 months out of mine.

Antler Daddy

Also, these are not best prices. I paid $99 for XB at sportsman warehouse a few weeks ago with a $20 off sale and free shipping. Cabelas and Bass Pro have been full of stock at 119 for either. they will be running that annual deer sale soon.

cbhunter

Here are the current price plans for tactacam

Just depends on how many pics you want/need.

I have the intermediate plan and have never needed to go to the unlimited plan.

Attachments

• F684EA47-66D6-4F2E-B9AC-B8BC715D2675.jpeg
    F684EA47-66D6-4F2E-B9AC-B8BC715D2675.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 38

Andy S.

You may want to hold off until August 1 (Monday) and consider the Reveal X Pro at $149 price point. I am not sure what the major differences/advantages are, but I much prefer a LCD screen for initial setup and adjustments, and it is supposed to have one. Time will tell about the other features they are marketing (quick HD photo delivery upon request from app, better battery life, no-glow black flash, etc).

Latest posts