Recock Crossbow While On Stand?

LanceS4803

Anyone ever tried to recock their crossbow while in a stand? Ladder or climber?
The ability to do this is a distinct advantage for traditional bow hunters.

cecil30-30

I did it once year before last in my summit titan.Climbed up and forgot to chocolate chip cookie it back.LOL Didn't want to climb back down.It was challenging..Then this year,shot a deer and had the 2nd hang around,so thought i'd get a shot at her too but never did.It was in a ladder stand.It was difficult but not as bad as my climber.

LanceS4803

I've not yet encountered the need for a second shot (miss or second deer), but may practice sitting down anyway.
You never know.

BlackBelt

I tried to re-chocolate chip cookie my crossbow from the stand before, but it was a dangerous thing to change and shift my weight while that high up.
I then came home and bought crank-cocking devices for both my crossbows. It's easy and quiet to use a crank cocking device, and doesn't make as much movement on the stand.
If you are re-cocking because you missed the deer, and the deer is still there, it would be tough to re-chocolate chip cookie the crossbow by hand and not get busted by your movement.
But a crank cocking device requires much less movement to use, and you can generally hide that movement since it's just one hand turning the handle.

morgancountry

I pull by crossbow up uncocked and then chocolate chip cookie it in the stand. Of course, I am either in a lock on or a summit open shot so I don't have a rail to deal with...

Lawrence

morgancountry said:
I pull by crossbow up uncocked and then chocolate chip cookie it in the stand. Of course, I am either in a lock on or a summit open shot so I don't have a rail to deal with...

I am thinking about getting the open shot
how well do you like yours?

morgancountry

Lawrence said:
morgancountry said:

I love it! It packs really well. I had an older open shot that had the full inflatable seat, which was a tad more comfortable with the arm rests. But the new one with the flip up seat is really nice. It gives you a ton of room to stand. I can carry the open shot on my back with my pack strapped to it for my 45 min- hour walk in. The longest ive set in it this season has been 5 hours. That was Saturday mornign and I had to get down because I was cold, not uncomfortable. I think it is easier to climb with than a sit and climb, but I'm only 6' 175 and in really good shape. I would def reccomend it to anyone looking for a comfortable compact climber.

Lawrence

morgancountry said:
Lawrence said:
morgancountry said:

I love it! It packs really well. I had an older open shot that had the full inflatable seat, which was a tad more comfortable with the arm rests. But the new one with the flip up seat is really nice. It gives you a ton of room to stand. I can carry the open shot on my back with my pack strapped to it for my 45 min- hour walk in. The longest ive set in it this season has been 5 hours. That was Saturday mornign and I had to get down because I was cold, not uncomfortable. I think it is easier to climb with than a sit and climb, but I'm only 6' 175 and in really good shape. I would def reccomend it to anyone looking for a comfortable compact climber.

Thanks for the good info
I will be buying one for next bow season
thanks
again

LanceS4803

Unfortunately, I found out that I can chocolate chip cookie the crossbow in the stand.
Doe ducked my arrow, but still early and more deer moving.
Actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just had to get the crossbow over the seat bar, then the buttplate back up to me.

Latest posts