Rabbit Hunting Expectations?

UTGrad

I've hunted for rabbit 4 afternoons in a row. Saw 3 total and killed 1.

I can see squirrel everytime I go squirrel hunting and I also see deer just about everytime I go deer hunting.

Is rabbit hunting without dogs a tough hunt? We've got some really good habitat but I just don't see them. What should my expectations be?

Mud Creek

I hunt with beagles, 99% of the time we jump them off the bed. The rabbit will sit tight until the dogs get right up close. I won't tolerate a cold nose dog boo hooing on every feed line it comes across. If you're checking the cover good and still not seeing rabbits then I wouldn't be suprised if they are getting up ahead of you. The only 2 other options would be they're staying buttoned up tight as you pass or they just aren't there like you think. As someone else said walk a little and then stop. Most rabbit hunters I know that own beagles are struggling to find spots to run these days. If you're having fun walking and jump shooting them, you should see if you can get with someone who has dogs that will let you tag along or invite them to your spot.

Don't be suprisef if its lack of rabbits though. I have a few spots that should be rabbit heaven but the numbers just aren't there and when we do jump them they are in the least likely places.

Buzzard Breath

Rabbits are cyclical. I was seeing them everywhere a couple years ago. This year, I can only recall see one rabbit while out. I'm not targeting them, but can usually kill a couple a year while squirrel hunting. Not this year. I'm hunting southern middle WMA's.

BClark66

I've always used dogs. I've never really known anyone who rabbit hunted without them. I've hunted very little private property this year. Mainly have been at LBL and other northern mid TN WMA's. It hasn't really been a successful year for me. I have 3 young pups that are learning and picking it up. It'll get better once i get some E-collars on them.

WilcoKen

I've had some good hunts without dogs. But my place was covered up in rabbits that year. They were holding around rock piles covered with brush and lay downs. I think our best day was 8 rabbits between 3 of us. Makes me want to go again.

Chiflyguy

I've hunted for rabbit 4 afternoons in a row. Saw 3 total and killed 1.

I can see squirrel everytime I go squirrel hunting and I also see deer just about everytime I go deer hunting.

Is rabbit hunting without dogs a tough hunt? We've got some really good habitat but I just don't see them. What should my expectations be?
My question is did you enjoy a walk in the woods?
To me, that's the buzz.

Chiflyguy

Love the walk in the woods. Just need to know if I need to focus on other small game in the process. Rabbits are scarce at my lease and we have abundant habitat.
Carry a gun you can also hunt squirrel with.
Or better yet get a beagle.
Even if you don't get any rabbits, you still got a beagle😉

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
Usually if you have a rabbit shortage it's due to lack of habitat or over abundance of predators. Sounds like you have the habitat so you might try to target some natural predators for a year or so then maybe you'll see the rabbit population pick up.

Latest posts