Quota and Non-quota hunts - New hunter question

Flyingty1

Hi all,

I'm a new hunter and new to TN. I'll be hunting public lands for the first time this year and I don't understand how to know if a WMA is quota hunt only? If I'm looking at the hunting guide and it mentions a hunter limit, is that the indicator that its a quota hunt? If it doesn't have a hunter limit, that would be a non-quota hunt open to everyone correct? Thanks in advance for any information.

TRK

Which version do you have the online or the paper back one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRK

Best thing to do is call the manager to that WMA and you'll be able to get straight answers. If the WMA you're looking at says "Same as state wide" and that's is that means it's not a quota. What region are you looking at?

Flyingty1

Thanks for the response. I'm just taking a shot in the dark to try and find some places where it won't be as crowded. I'm looking at Bridgestone/Firestone in White county and possibly Cordell Hull. I'm also open to any suggestions in East TN. I live in Chattanooga.

MickThompson

There are 3 types of big game seasons on WMAs-
1. "Same as statewide" means the bag limits and season dates for the unit the wma is found in apply
2. Non-quota hunts are only open for a portion of deer/turkey season. May have its own bag limit or be same as statewide. Read the guide.
3. Quota hunts- these are drawn over the summer. Capacity is capped and special regs may apply.

Neither of the WMAs you mentioned require being drawn to hunt. WMAs are generally much less crowded if you can hunt through the week or avoid opening day.

catman529

Yes, if the hunting guide lists a hunter quota for a WMA, then that's for a quota hunt that must be applied for and drawn. If it simply lists specific hunt dates with no quota, or says "same as statewide," then it's non-quota. You can also look at the list of quota hunts on the TWRA website if you're not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eddie A

Best thing to do is call the manager to that WMA and you'll be able to get straight answers. If the WMA you're looking at says "Same as state wide" and that's is that means it's not a quota. What region are you looking at?

Good luck getting them to answer the phone.