Quick update on my spypoint cams

DeerCamp

You can go back and see the trouble I've had with spypoint. Only ever bought 4 but owned 10 via replacements. So this last batch, been running pretty non-stop without issues since last fall. Battery changes etc but thats it.

Well, I noticed in September, 2 of my cams stopped communicating pretty close to the same time.

Attempted to contact spypoint customer service but hold times are crazy and they simply don't respond to chat anymore. You can reach them via twitter DM, but their response time is 7-10 hours delayed.

They had me pull them down and do a firmware update (which is supposed to happen OTA, but never does).

It bricked one of them, and the other it worked but still won't send pics.

Meanwhile, my Stealthcams have had ZERO issues, schedule their own updates and send much better pics.

Guys, do yourself a solid and avoid the hell out of spypoint unless you get a deal you can't pass up, and by that I mean, cheap enough that its worth having to go into your sanctuary areas and pull the cams down when they go kaput in November.

sgtwebb1

Second the posts above.

I had 4 Spypoints that all worked fine for 2 seasons, out in the field the entire time, all I ever did was change batteries.

Suddenly after a 'firmware update', three of them stopped taking photos--couldn't ever connect to Verizon.

We've always had crappy coverage on our lease with Verizon, but the cams all sent photos, usually only had 1 bar showing.
After the update--NO service.
Weird.

AT&T, however, has a decent signal pretty much over the entirety of our property.

Changed over to Tactacam XB's, put in AT&T sim cards, anv boom--all work, no issues.

I will say that I tested the Spypoints back at home after I pulled them, with a good Verizon signal, they all worked fine.

Something to do with the update I think.

Either way, just because of the poor reception at our place, I'm impressed with the Tactacams anyway.

DeerCamp

Well, spypoint is now sending me 2 new cameras. So out of the 4 I originally bought, I've owned 12.

Must be a hell of a pile of cameras in some warehouse.

Oh and also - I attempted to buy 100 HD photos, and the website said "could not process your payment", but I immediately got a text notification that I was charged $10. Had to message them on twitter to get that fixed.

rem270

I absolutely despise Spypoint. I have had better luck out of $30 cams than the Spyjunk. I only had 1 and my dad bought 2 and all sucked from sending pics, terrible quality pics, and eating batteries. I sold 2 of the 3 to a buddy who likes them for some reason or another. Couldn't find the 3rd one but finally found it walking through the woods last week. I had dropped it at some point. I got it to come on and downloaded it back to the app thinking maybe I'll just get the 100 free pics a month or sell it to someone that's delusional and likes them. Can't even get it to connect to the app now.

DeerCamp

I absolutely despise Spypoint. I have had better luck out of $30 cams than the Spyjunk. I only had 1 and my dad bought 2 and all sucked from sending pics, terrible quality pics, and eating batteries. I sold 2 of the 3 to a buddy who likes them for some reason or another. Couldn't find the 3rd one but finally found it walking through the woods last week. I had dropped it at some point. I got it to come on and downloaded it back to the app thinking maybe I'll just get the 100 free pics a month or sell it to someone that's delusional and likes them. Can't even get it to connect to the app now.
YOu might try the firmware update. Fixed 2 of mine. It's pretty easy to do.

agelessssone

I WISH I had seen and read this thread before I bought my two Spypoint cameras.
Only had them for about 6 weeks and nothing but problems with them
Was NEVER able to get anyone on chat and also wait times on hold is ridiculous.
Just ordered two Moultrie Edge cameras today, heard they are reliable and actually has customer support.
The spypukes will just get thrown in the recycling bin.

ImThere

I have two of them for about a year, I guess, not any problems knock on wood. We have good service here so maybe that's a benefit? Now I'm worried!!

Latest posts