Questions about finding arrowheads

Lost Lake

Docpoco,

Any place near a water source like a creek or river is a good place to find arrowheads. Not only did the NA's hunt right next to creeks and rivers and their flood plains, but any higher ground campsites on the first and second terraces above them will have a lot of points and blades erode down into them over the centuries. Some of the best places are the higher ground near the confluence of two streams, like a spring feeding a small creek or creek feeding a bigger river.

Any plowed ground is a good place to look as well, especially after a good rain that exposes flint. Another tactic is to get in the small streams themselves and walk them slowly and search for artifacts in the gravel or sand bars. Quite a few nice points are found that way now, especially since No Till is such a common practice and plowed ground is rare.

Good luck, its an addictive hobby. Hope you find a bunch.

cbhunter

A friend of mine says he finds them in the creeks there. I've never found one in a creek and would love to learn. If i remember correctly he said winter is the best time to creek hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pressfit

This might not make sense but.. when your searching.. you gotta get your eyes right... if not you will walk right past a point.. don't be looking at the minners swimming by, or the squirrel barking at you or the coon tracks... concentrate on finding a point.. I don't like hunting creeks... way to many rocks to visually sort out.. but I do it on occasion...

Tennrock

Previous replies have great information. I usually find campsites on the 1st high spot where two water sources merge. Campsites are the most productive but anywhere in between campsites was their hunting grounds.
I have found them in the most unsuspecting places, so nowadays if the earth has been disturbed, I'm looking.
One thing I have noticed on several of the sites I hunt is I usually find evidence of old home sites (ceramic, glass, nails, etc.). I guess the 1800's settlers picked the same locations as the Indians did due to water, floodplain, travel corridors, farming, hunting, etc.

hillbillyfab

Excellent replies so far. The best advice I ever got was"come on go with me". A friend that has hunted rocks for years took me. He has an eye for rocks. He'd see them, but not point them out. We'd play the hot cold game till I was literally touching it. Lol.
He loves going after a frost, says it helps break the ground up and then they're literally sitting there waiting to be found. If you can find someone that will take you, don't hesitate. Load up and go. I have to be in the mind set of hunting rocks or next thing you know I'm identifying trees, critter paths and future stand locations. :)

Tennrock

Very true. A big mistake is trying to look too wide of a area. I have found them laying in plain sight right by someone's tracks and wonder "how did they miss that?". I'm sure someone has found them in my tracks too.
hillbillyfab":1s4u0l8v said:
I have to be in the mind set of hunting rocks or next thing you know I'm identifying trees, critter paths and future stand locations. :)

CATCHDAWG

One thing about creek hunting is that you generally don't find much but the ones you do are in great shape like they were truly lost by the maker. The ones you find in village sites and especially ag fields are many times broken. I "might" average one good point out of ten in the fields but more numbers overall vs a creek.

Latest posts