Question on registration

Knothead

Can't get a consistent answer on this: if you own and operate a 4 wheeler or side by side, (not for highway use, just for hunting and farm work, etc) are you required, BY LAW, to have it registered with TN State Dept of Revenue, and have a registration sticker on the vehicle or risk a hefty fine for not complying? I've asked several people and get a different answer every time.
SCN, I'm sure you could provide the answer if you would be so kind. Just trying to settle a debate with some coworkers. Thanks.

Hduke86

I've never once in my life have been stopped and asked for anything about it. I have been stopped up at Prentice Cooper and talked to the warden up there a few times just to chat and never been questioned. Only thing I know is some areas require permits but that's not requiring it to be registered by the state. I'd just call the local tag and title place and see their "professional" answer

Madbowh

Can't get a consistent answer on this: if you own and operate a 4 wheeler or side by side, (not for highway use, just for hunting and farm work, etc) are you required, BY LAW, to have it registered with TN State Dept of Revenue, and have a registration sticker on the vehicle or risk a hefty fine for not complying? I've asked several people and get a different answer every time.
SCN, I'm sure you could provide the answer if you would be so kind. Just trying to settle a debate with some coworkers. Thanks.
Only if you are physically driving it on the road, if you are at home riding it down to the store yes, in the woods and hit pavement under a few minutes getting gas, one trail to the next no

Madbowh

If your pulling a trailer with a4 wheeler and trailer and 4 wheeler aren't registered technically they can ticket you for the trailer not the 4 wheeler. You would have to be a real jerk for that to happen

Jcalder

If your pulling a trailer with a4 wheeler and trailer and 4 wheeler aren't registered technically they can ticket you for the trailer not the 4 wheeler. You would have to be a real jerk for that to happen
Would it matter if it was in the bed of the truck?

why would the trailer registration have any bearing on the four wheeler? A trailer doesn't have to be registered for regular personal use, unless you were to leave state lines. Just asking cause I simply don't know why any of it matters.

Wiley

Not registration related but tax collecting from buying across state line from where one resides..........I bought my 2006 Rancher in Chattanooga at the Honda place. Since I'm from AL they didn't charge me sales tax, if I remember correctly. A few months later I got a bill from Alabama for $70+/- and I trashed it. Never got another notice of any kind. The states revenue departments share info on nonresident purchases of such things in hopes of collecting sales tax. I know it would be more moving parts but if they're serious about collecting they should collect at the time of the sale and make quarterly transfers of that money to the other state.

Madbowh

Would it matter if it was in the bed of the truck?

why would the trailer registration have any bearing on the four wheeler? A trailer doesn't have to be registered for regular personal use, unless you were to leave state lines. Just asking cause I simply don't know why any of it matters.
In your truck no, I didn't know Any of this until last year when I bought a camper and registered it Sevier County clerk said any trailer must be registered she said if it has wheels and your driving it or pulling it on the road it must be registered. Now I've not seen a cop that would cite you for the trailer but I have seen them stop people in certain places riding 4 wheelers, now let's say you and your neighbor don't get a long and your kids ride their 4 wheelers on the road and they call on you the cops will say you can't if it is not registered. Really they just want anyone using the road to be taxed. Hell I've drove a damn Lull(big ass forklift)from Sevierville to Gatlinburg not a issue. If I had a4 wheeler I would register it or the trailer, my camper I did because insurance wanted the paperwork.

Jcalder

In your truck no, I didn't know Any of this until last year when I bought a camper and registered it Sevier County clerk said any trailer must be registered she said if it has wheels and your driving it or pulling it on the road it must be registered. Now I've not seen a cop that would cite you for the trailer but I have seen them stop people in certain places riding 4 wheelers, now let's say you and your neighbor don't get a long and your kids ride their 4 wheelers on the road and they call on you the cops will say you can't if it is not registered. Really they just want anyone using the road to be taxed. Hell I've drove a damn Lull(big ass forklift)from Sevierville to Gatlinburg not a issue. If I had a4 wheeler I would register it or the trailer, my camper I did because insurance wanted the paperwork.
Reason I ask is because I don't have title for my trailer. Therefore I can't register it. And my county won't accept a bill of sale. Had I known all of this I wouldn't have bought that trailer. I'll also add I've never seen a boat trailer with registration displayed

Wiley

Reason I ask is because I don't have title for my trailer. Therefore I can't register it. And my county won't accept a bill of sale. Had I known all of this I wouldn't have bought that trailer. I'll also add I've never seen a boat trailer with registration displayed
You need to go above somebody's head if you want your trailer registered. Even homemade trailers are registered everywhere every day. It may involve taking a stamping set and putting a serial number on it and putting that on the bill of sale but IF you push the right people they WILL register your trailer.

Jcalder

You need to go above somebody's head if you want your trailer registered. Even homemade trailers are registered everywhere every day. It may involve taking a stamping set and putting a serial number on it and putting that on the bill of sale but IF you push the right people they WILL register your trailer.
I would rather have a title than it registered, but if you go to change the title they make you register it. I may talk with them next time I'm in there.

Terrier

It's my understanding that trailers of personal use in TN aren't required to have a tag or be registered. If you're using it for commerce (i.e., a landscaping business,) it must be titled and tagged. Subject to a ticket if not.

Don't quote me on this:
If you're going to ride on the road, you have to have a license tag, turn signals, lighted license plate frames and rear view mirrors. ATVs also can only be operated on streets with a 35mph or less speed limit.

Snake

I was told a trailer does not have to be registered only if you go out of state with it . Never put a tag on any trailer or camper except once for camper as I was going to camp in Georgia.

waynesworld

I have been out of state a few times with trailers that are not registered and stopped one time. When I was stopped i showed the TN law about trailers and he said OK. He did recommend putting the vehicle LP on the trailer because I had a large trailer and you could not see the back of pull vehicle. When I told a TN LEO about that he said actually you are suppose to do that in TN also.

As for the 4 wheeler/side by side if you are not operating it on a TN road you do not have to tag it. You do have to pay taxes on it if you brought it out of state. It is your responsibility to pay tax on anything you bring into TN that tax has not been paid. To tell you the truth I don't chase down people who buy them but the Department will get downloads from other states and send out bills. And they can be enforced. This has happened at a furniture store across the line. Wiley, I would say since you brought it in TN and took to AL the place you brought it from had you sign a 3 day affidavit stating you were taking it out of TN with in 3 days. I do tell people that paying the tax is a lot better then what can happen to you if you are trying to skirt the tax law's. The Department has a whole special section that goes after the people trying to skirt the tax law on things like this. I have know a person who was haled away in cuffs because he said he got a boat as a gift.

Latest posts