Question on idle issue

'borohunter

So - had my boat worked on in early September. Had a back injury/surgery which was very unplanned and just now able to pull the starter rope on the motor. Because of this the fuel has sat. The motor starts up fine but the idle is very high and the adjustment makes no difference (i.e. no change in idle at all). I'm guessing there's something very small in the carb and needs to be cleaned. I'd prefer not to pay for someone to work on the carb again. Any suggestions on a product that may help? (something that can be added to fuel). There are a lot of product that claim to work - didn't know if anyone has a suggestion... Thanks.

lothar

I bought a gallon can of carburetor cleaner at Advance. It comes with a small bucket inside to put whatever you're cleaning inside. I have cleaned several carbs with it. Just break down carb as much as possible and let it soak for a few days. Works wonders!

Crosshairy

Daniel90":32d394yn said:
Sea foam is good stuff run it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this. I'll put a heavy dose of that into the gas tank every year, and I've avoided having to clean the carburetor jets in 4 years of ownership. I certainly can't say the same of my dad's boat! I do recommend following the ratio directions on fuel to cleaner at least loosely. For example, don't put an entire bottle of fuel injector cleaner sized to treat a 20-gallon gas tank into your boats 2- gallon tank and think "more is better". I think the cleaner could become corrosive at high concentrations. If you have significant pluggage, use a concentrated dose in a smaller volume, so that you can burn through it and then chase through it with some regular gas.

Once you've done this, set your motor up to run in the driveway or wherever with the water hose hooked up for cooling to a set of "muffs" (that's what we always call them) and let it it run a long while to work its way through the system - maybe let it run for an hour. Ideally, that will clear up any issues prior to going out on the big water.

I also suggest that you buy ethanol-free gas, unless you burn through it with high use. There are websites that show gas stations that sell it - it's worth the extra few bucks in the long run, especially if you are running a small motor that sips fuel anyway.

Latest posts