WTT Question about Pre 64 Win 30-30

Want to Trade

Steverino

Back on 9/11/2001 Coming home from a wake and listening to the radio reports about the twin towers I decided to stop at a gun shop and pick up a pistol for carry to work or anytime I went out. It was a used Colt Mustang .380, fairly well worn. When I finally went to shoot it - it couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. This left me with little confidence in it. I traded it in at the first opportunity. Years later I'd heard that Colt had reset their shops with more automation and were turning out very tight and accurate weapons using CNC Lathes. So I bought a new Mustang .380. I took it to the range and did some shooting at targets and plates and what an improvement. I ran the little 4" plates over and over again and put a nice group into the paper targets. The slide was tighter than a drum. So again old isn't necessarily better - in many cases the manufacturer will find new ways to correct old problems and put out a superior firearm. In this case Colt did just that.

rifle02

What makes the pre-64s more valuable or expensive is collectibility. The difference in the model 94 specifically was they went to a plated receiver that didn't work out too well and many of the internal parts were stamped rather than machined. Both cost cutting Ventures that didn't hurt the performance too much. Kept the cost in line with profits.

7X57

I have a late model 70 Winchester in 300 WSM and it's controlled round feed.
Those are sometimes referred to as the "Classic" series and may have that indication roll stamped on the barrel. Nice guns and smoother moving parts than the pre-64. I've had a few pre-64s in .270 and .30-06. It's more nostalgia for me than anything.

Lost Lake

What makes the pre 64 Winchester 30-30 more expensive than later models? Just curious.

Pre 64's, and for that matter, 84-present, use machined steel receivers. Wood to metal fit is usually a touch better, and no stamped parts or roll pins in the pre 64's.

Will the post 64's shoot? Heck yes. One of the many 94's that I have is a 1971 model, with the "mystery metal" receiver. I had my gunsmith do an EXPENSIVE blueing job on it, and it's a smooth, deep finish, and no chance of freckling again, and I refinished the furniture myself. The trigger is great, and with good handloads and a receiver sight, it shoots far better than I do. It doesn't seem as smooth to operate as the pre 64 models, but function is fine.

Iglow

Those early post 64 94's would rattle like a coke can with ball bearings in it. Chinzy stamped lifters and roll pins, the receivers were the mystery metal mentioned, I read it was some thing like filings or shavings pressed into a die and heated. The finish was like black chrome, they were real bad but they functioned...sorta. Think of the pre 64 as a toyota truck and the post 64 as a ford pinto or chevy vega. I had pre 64 my nephew has now made in 1948 and it just felt and worked solid, nothing loose or rattling. The late 60's one I had was a pile of crap with 2 pcs of walnut stuck in it. My last one was a 1980 model and it was ok but thats all.

Last edited:

Lost Lake

I'll say this about the Remlin situation. I've been in the "business" for a day or two. I've met plenty of reps and some owners. One of them that worked for Remington was there when they took over Marlin. ACCORDING TO HIM, the manufacturing equipment that Marlin was using was -generally speaking- well used and pretty worn. Remington upgraded the machinery to bring things back into tight tolerances.

It's a TOUCHY subject with some. I have a few Marlins, and a few of them JM's. One has become one of my favorites that I bought as a beater, because the blueing is toast, and I just don't fret over it like a new rifle. But……the barrel indexing is heinous, and built at a time when Marlin should have been capitalizing on Winchesters mistakes. The previous owners solution was to bend the front sight over far enough that the rear site wasn't drifted entirely out of its dovetail to be sighted in. No worries, as I scoped it and it's a cool rifle now.

The mention of that didn't go over well with the old guys on Marlinowners. My Remlin seems to be fine. Oh well.

Last edited:

MUP

Mup,I've got a book at home about the model 94 by a guy named Mattis I believe, it tells every thing about that rifle. If there is something particular you want to know let me know and I'll try to look it up for you.
I wouldn't mind knowing the serial number cutoff for the pre 64 models my friend. Just so I would know one when I saw it. 👍🏻

Gav-n-Tn

Seems like a ton of commemorative models post 64 to increase sales
Yes. It didn't really work all that well though. Consumers want to determine what is collectible. Nowadays, the practice seems to be more accepted. Henry does basically the same thing and so do other manufacturers in the form of limited production runs.

utvolsfan77

I wouldn't mind knowing the serial number cutoff for the pre 64 models my friend. Just so I would know one when I saw it. 👍🏻

@MUP and everyone else, I hope this helps. Be sure to look at Page 9 as that is where the information begins on the model 94. According to this source, all pre-1964 model 94s were serial numbered below 2,700,000. Post 1964 model 94s began with serial number 2,700,000.

Snake

rickyk280

pre 64 94s are a whole different world from post 64 94s, the bad ones are from 1965 to 1977. 1978 on were better but not near the gun the pre 64 are.
Iglow is 100% correct. 65 to 77 the 94 sucked. Unless you have owned both and I do and have the newer ones is not in the class of the Pre 64.

I do think now they make some nice model 70's with controlled feed that shoot good.

Latest posts