Question about getting busted

catman529

When I shot my jake on saturday, there were 2 jakes following a hen running towards me after I made some purrs and clucks. But there were 3 or so longbeards in full strut out about 70 yards in the field with some other hens.

The jakes and hen ran in to 5 or 6 yards and started clucking looking around for that turkey that called. They would not have seen me sitting still under the thick cedar tree, but they also wouldn't have seen the turkey they were looking for.

My question is, if this happens again while I am trying to get a longbeard, could the young birds potentially bust me or get suspicious and send all of the other birds away?

There were 2 reasons I shot the jake at the first chance... one was because I told myself I'd kill the first legal bird in range so I could have my first turkey, and the other was I didn't want them to start putting and scare off all the birds.

So if I get into a similar situation again, is it possible to wait it out and try to get a longbeard in range or will the jakes that are already looking for me set off an alarm to the other birds that something isn't right?

catman529

I am guessing that's what I'll have to do. I don't want to kill another jake if there are longbeards right out behind them. I got my first and now I want one with a beard worth keeping and a full sized tail to mount on the wall.

Goshen Valley Boy

I would say that IF they didn't pick you out, they probably would not have totally spooked by not finding the "bird" that was doing the calling.

That said, it is impossible to tell if they would have picked you out or not. If you were looking for the first legal bird to break the ice, you probably made the right call.

Next time, if you are holding out for a gobbler, you would have to run the risk of being picked out by the jakes to get to the gobblers.

It is sort of a danged if you do and danged if you don't scenario. Having a lot of turkeys in front of you is a double edged sword...lots of birds means lots or really sharp eyes.

Congrats on getting one under your belt.

catman529

Thanks. I think in full camo including the face mask I shouldn't be picked out as long as I am still. Had a hen called in last weekend that was at 5 yards and looking intently at me clucking and purring but eventually left without busting me. A still blob sitting there won't do anything, it's only if you move when they bust you. I better not blink too much.

REN

a turkey that close is usually get somewhat spooked. Yes i have had plenty of times that birds came into <5yds and walked away not spooked but a majority of the time they will get somewhat weary especially if calling is involved. if they are just walking by is one thing but coming to a call is a different story.

however having said that a mildly spooked bird does not always ruin a hunt, if the LB is in strut then a lot of the time he will have no idea whats going on and just stay out in strut.

Sawgrass

If faced with a similar encounter there's not much you can do but stay still and let it play out. It can get frustrating, but you don't really have any choice at the time. Just hope for the best and enjoy the moment. Keep plugging catman, your longbeard will come, just be patient.

Baxter83

:D

I had 2 hens and a jake come in on me on my second trip and if I hadn't turned around like a jackwagon to see what that noise 10' behind me was they would have walked right by me. I could have spit on all of them... :D BUT, I've had them get within 50 yards of me and pick me out as well.

Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. That's a question that can't really be answered......accurately. ;)

Winchester

Sometimes they will sometimes they won't. That's a question that can't really be answered......accurately.
Exactly, could go either way, but they normally dont like it when a bird is calling but there is no bird there??

Latest posts