Question about Alabama

Tenntrapper

Ok, so I'm not a big football fan, so please excuse any ignorance. I do like to watch college football occasionally though.

Anyway, Im thinking it was late 70s early 80s, I vaguely remember the TN vs Al game was a big deal. Then something happened... thinking Alabama got in trouble for something, and it was no longer a big deal. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I'm likely only remembering bits and pieces as I was pretty young. It's something I just remembered and am curious as to what it was all about. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

TNlandowner

Maybe more info than you want.

Phil Fulmer reported Alabama rule violations to the NCAA in 2000. An Alabama booster had paid a player (Albert Means). Funny how times change and this would be appreciated today...

NCAA placed Alabama on a five year and very restrictive probation in 2002. I remember media sources who believed Alabama would get the death penalty.

Alabama prosecutors wanted to charge Fulmer with several violations, but he was smart enough to avoid SEC media days in Birmingham.

So, the rivalry lived on with a renewed hatred between the fans. Alabama suffered it worst beatings in school history. Bama survived the punishment, hired Saban, and enjoyed a lot of success.

Tenntrapper

Phil Fulmer reported Alabama rule violations to the NCAA in 2000. An Alabama booster had paid a player (Albert Means). Funny how times change and this would be appreciated today...

NCAA placed Alabama on a five year and very restrictive probation in 2002. I remember media sources who believed Alabama would get the death penalty.

Alabama prosecutors wanted to charge Fulmer with several violations, but he was smart enough to avoid SEC media days in Birmingham.

So, the rivalry lived on with a renewed hatred between the fans. Alabama suffered it worst beatings in school history. Bama survived the punishment, hired Saban, and enjoyed a lot of success.

So you're saying that I'm remembering pieces from two different times (entirely possible)?
I moved to Florida in '87 and was thinking it was before that...but I could be wrong. Was the TN AL rivalry still strong in the early 90s? I was thinking that it became a TN FL rivalry. Again...honest questions. I just wasn't into football back then.
Thanks

PillsburyDoughboy

NCAA when it handed down the violations on tn said cheating was a "culture" at tn. Guess we know where it originated at. FAT Phil! Those that usually try and deflect are the ones guilty.

Ole fat phil sure did not forget getting fired and stuck it to the vols good colluding with with Pruitt and those Chick Fila bags. vols found a way to weasle out of it for the most part but it's on the record there is a cheating culture at tn. Something we all knew existed.

Roll Tide !

PillsburyDoughboy

In the spirit of all of that it might be a great Segway to mention..

It's been 427 days since the vols beat the Glorious ALABAMA Crimson Tide.

Roll Tide !

Bamamonts

So you're saying that I'm remembering pieces from two different times (entirely possible)?
I moved to Florida in '87 and was thinking it was before that...but I could be wrong. Was the TN AL rivalry still strong in the early 90s? I was thinking that it became a TN FL rivalry. Again...honest questions. I just wasn't into football back then.
Thanks
Alabama also got put on probation in the mid early 90's. If I remember right Antonio Langam signed with a sports agent and then came back to Alabama in 93. Alabama was put on a bowl ban and reduced scholarships. After that Alabama wasn't competitive in the rivalry and Tennessee started to dominate. That same time Florida and Tennessee both had good teams and that became a bigger rivalry. At least that how I remember it.

Tenntrapper

NCAA when it handed down the violations on tn said cheating was a "culture" at tn. Guess we know where it originated at. FAT Phil! Those that usually try and deflect are the ones guilty.

Ole fat phil sure did not forget getting fired and stuck it to the vols good colluding with with Pruitt and those Chick Fila bags. vols found a way to weasle out of it for the most part but it's on the record there is a cheating culture at tn. Something we all knew existed.

Roll Tide !
Fwiw, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I'm trying to figure out what I'm remembering.
Was there something that happened in the late 70s, early 80s? I could just be getting memories confused...just trying to clarify.

Another FWIW...I couldn't give a chit about AL or TN. Nothing against either, but I really just don't have a favorite team. My wife has been a Texas fan for about 15 years. If I had to pick a team, I would likely side with her.

How many days has it been since the tide beat Texas?? Oh wait... nevermind... 😂

Tenntrapper

Fwiw, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. I'm trying to figure out what I'm remembering.
Was there something that happened in the late 70s, early 80s? I could just be getting memories confused...just trying to clarify.

Another FWIW...I couldn't give a chit about AL or TN. Nothing against either, but I really just don't have a favorite team. My wife has been a Texas fan for about 15 years. If I had to pick a team, I would likely side with her.

BTW, speaking about how little I care about any specific team. Want to know how I pick a game to watch during regular season? By the broadcast quality. Some look to be filmed in high def, others look like someone filming a high school game with their phone. I watch the one that looks better... quality wise. Also, if it starts looking like a blowout...I find a different game to watch.

PillsburyDoughboy

Nothing but respect for the real UT :)

Sark has done a wonderful job with that program. I hate that ALABAMA lost to UT but hopefully we get another shot at yall. I suspect the outcome will be entirely different the second time around.

Roll Tide !

Tenntrapper

Sark has done a wonderful job with that program. I hate that ALABAMA lost to UT but hopefully we get another shot at yall. I suspect the outcome will be entirely different the second time around.

Roll Tide !
I think it would be a good game. Of course, I would have to be for Texas (I sleep with one of their biggest fans).
I really don't know what I'm remembering... something from the late 70s. I'm remembering the names Bear Bryant and Johnny Majors. I just googled them...makes sense since they were the AL TN coaches then...I guess. Might not have anything to do with either one. Might be memories running together. As I said...I moved to Florida in '87... something happened just prior...I think.
Did Florida State get in trouble for something?

BamaProud

Perfect reply. Bonus points for the video.

BMan

In the spirit of all of that it might be a great Segway to mention..

Pic of PDB on his Segway:

1702760020890.png

deerfanatic

Phil wasn't the only one who reported them. The one who gave the most damning evidence and testimony against them was none other than Steve Spurrier. There are a couple other schools that informed on them too but bamas hatred of UT and Fulmer for beating them later on has driven the narrative he was the main one who got them and informed on them when that's not really the truth. Lots of coaches and schools were tired of the corruption and cheating supposedly but it probably all stemmed from losing so much to them in the 80's and early 90's

deerfanatic

Alabama also got put on probation in the mid early 90's. If I remember right Antonio Langam signed with a sports agent and then came back to Alabama in 93. Alabama was put on a bowl ban and reduced scholarships. After that Alabama wasn't competitive in the rivalry and Tennessee started to dominate. That same time Florida and Tennessee both had good teams and that became a bigger rivalry. At least that how I remember it.
This is accurate unlike someone else's take in this thread

volboy

In the 80s after Bryant retired they were, in some people's words, "irrelevant" for a few years with their coaching hires. Then 7 or 8 years later they hired Stallings. They began winning more as he began to get (paid for) better players. Then after him they went thru some rough coaching hires until they emptied all of their accounts to get the guy they have now.

What is interesting in all of this is that when they were FINALLY caught paying players, they blamed mainly 1 guy yet there were several head coaches, from all over the nation, that turned them in. One of the main ones was none other than the coach, at the time, of Michigan State!! While at Michigan State, he had lost out on a couple of top recruits to the red team from the south. That coach is now the current coach in tuscalooser!!

buckaroo

Roll Tide !
Your something, the only cheating coach the Vols have had was crooked saban's pupil Pruitt. Its obvious to any fan outside of the armpit state, they still are with the way games are officiated, and bumped over an undefeated team, Jimbo made a good comment today, football has turned into ice skating competition, GBO

Grouseman

Your something, the only cheating coach the Vols have had was crooked saban's pupil Pruitt. Its obvious to any fan outside of the armpit state, they still are with the way games are officiated, and bumped over an undefeated team, Jimbo made a good comment today, football has turned into ice skating competition, GBO
The volunqueers must not have any ice skates.

buckaroo

Roll Tide !
The real UT has been around years before Texas, actually if you knew anything about our great state and what Volunteers mean you would know there wouldn't even be a state called Texas GBO

Latest posts