Quail

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Pretty good morning for them in my yard. Sometimes I see 4 or maybe 6. I counted 18 in the ft yard and maybe 2 doszen in the backyard. I'll have to try and sneek out and get some pictures of them later.

tndad

Man, got my setter in training till march. gonna be looking for places to run her- pm me- I also bu my own quail at times

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Cleaned out my mail Box. I didn't know 1 word would make me so popular. My yard is only 2 acres I don't think the dogs will get much exerise in it.
I'm pleased to know some of the local efforts are proving to be a success.

BirdMan

Well, ok, I'll just put it public since your yard is only 2 acres. I just moved to middle TN (Mt. Juliet) from east TN. I have a setter pup that I desperately need to get into some birds. The problem is I don't have anywhere to hunt him here since I just moved here and don't know anyone/anywhere to hunt. I would love to have some help finding places/hunting partners here in the middle/western part of the state. I thought about just taking him to some public lands close by here or to Ft. Campbell. Did I say I was desperate :)

BirdMan

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Birdman it has been a long time since I went after Quail with a good dog and would love to go.The only places I know of around here are public.Harmons Creek WMA or Natchez Trace WMA. I haven;t scouted them for quail but have flushed a few while deer hunting. I know Quails unlimited has been working in West TN.

BirdMan

WestTn Huntin'man I sure hope in the future we can see the quail come back to a good population. TWRA is working hard albeit very reactive to the situation. My pup is very inexperienced and that's why it's so crucial I get him into some birds. He's still wet behind the ears. Usually when you can flush quail without a dog (while you were deer hunting)there is a decent population there. I can remember when you could go almost anywhere and find quail. I just wish I had not been so young at the time.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Birdman there are several WMA's and quite a bit of TVA land in and around Benton county.I don't flush birds everytime out or alot of birds when I flush them,but they are here. It does seem to me the #'s are getting better.I'm seeing more fence rows not cleared and over grown fields around the county.
I went out and got some scratch feed to help my yard birds thru the winter.

BirdMan

That's great to hear. I hope to be able to get hooked up with the right person, maybe on here, or elsewhere who still seriously bird hunts. I had a great family I grouse hunted with in east TN that I wouldn't trade for anything. They were die hard. We lived and breathed it together. I sure do miss it.

tndad

talked to a guy that goes to fort campbell and says there quite a few.
Also talked to a twra guy and he says some coveys are on the 840 hwy area of percy priest.
My setter is in training right now and won't be home till march- I live in nashville

A guy around Mt Juliet has a kennel and may have some quail but they are 6 bucks a piece- think meyers is the name- might google tn bird dog kennels- don't have his number.
Hal Luckey in Medina TN raises quail and will have some until Feb. I think that what he said- that's where I get mine- just feathered out for 2.50 to 3 bucks apiece.

pm me , we can talk

might try catching some pigeons very early in the morning in the parking garage here at Centennial Hospital- if I get there permission.

tndad

hey guys- pm me with your email addresses and I'll send some pics of my setter at the trainers- pointing and on the chain gang.

Latest posts