Quail Hunt advice

usanglure

Got a invitation to hunt Gumbo Flats next weekend for a business social. Saturday Morning Quail Hunt. 40 years since i did it with any real hunting effort. What choke in my shotgun? Improved or Modified? What shot 7.5 or 8? any other info i should remember or know?

Mattt

I run ic on the first barrel, improved modified on the second. If I only had one it would be ic. Either shot will be fine you won't be able to tell the difference everything else being equal

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
My son is a guide at one of the largest, privately owned, quail hunting plantations in Alabama. It is not open to the public, only guests of owners are allowed on the plantation. They are big into conservation, and not into killing limits of birds each hunt. True Southern, old time, hunting experience is what they delver for the guests. Here is their setup, and their informal rules.

Double barrels or over and unders only. No Automatics.
Any time you are not ready to shoot, gun must be broken for obvious safety reasons.
No loaded guns on horseback, or at anytime, unless ready to shoot a covey rise.
No 12 gauge allowed. Only 20, 28, or .410 allowed. Conservation-Not kill em all.
No more than 2 shooters per point. Safety of dogs, guides, and guests is paramount.
There are no "released" birds on their plantation. Only true wild birds, not hoppers. You are going to miss a few.
If you are hunting pen raised, released birds, they will run, not rise. Do not shoot unless they rise.
Informal rule is to tip the guides good for their courtesy and assistance. They have families and tips really help.
At lunch time, clean up your own mess. The owners are proud of the property so show your appreciation of it.
Don't drink more than 1 glass of alcohol during the hunt for lunch. Wine is provided on their hunts.
Keep a clean mouth, don't cuss, but show good character at all times.

These rules are not "enforced" by the owners, rather they are expected of their guests. If you are never invited back, you know it was something you did that they didn't appreciate. A true southern quail hunt is an experience of a life time and some run thousands of dollars per day at commercial lodges. Enjoy your experience and follow all my advice and you will be invited back for another day. I have hunted with this family numerous times and never fired a shot and had the most amazing times of my life. I have assisted elderly gentlemen getting on and off the horses, held horses for the shooters, served lunch, bragged on their shooting skills, but didn't laugh when they missed. I usually get three offers a year to come and hunt, and I don't decline the offer. I hope you have as great an experience as I have.

B

Buzzard Breath

My son is a guide at one of the largest, privately owned, quail hunting plantations in Alabama. It is not open to the public, only guests of owners are allowed on the plantation. They are big into conservation, and not into killing limits of birds each hunt. True Southern, old time, hunting experience is what they delver for the guests. Here is their setup, and their informal rules.

Any time you are not ready to shoot, gun must be broken for obvious safety reasons.
No 12 gauge allowed. Only 20, 28, or .410 allowed. Conservation-Not kill em all.
No more than 2 shooters per point. Safety of dogs, guides, and guests is paramount.
There are no "released" birds on their plantation. Only true wild birds, not hoppers. You are going to miss a few.
If you are hunting pen raised, released birds, they will run, not rise. Do not shoot unless they rise.
Informal rule is to tip the guides good for their courtesy and assistance. They have families and tips really help.
At lunch time, clean up your own mess. The owners are proud of the property so show your appreciation of it.
Don't drink more than 1 glass of alcohol during the hunt for lunch. Wine is provided on their hunts.

These rules are not "enforced" by the owners, rather they are expected of their guests. If you are never invited back, you know it was something you did that they didn't appreciate. A true southern quail hunt is an experience of a life time and some run thousands of dollars per day at commercial lodges. Enjoy your experience and follow all my advice and you will be invited back for another day. I have hunted with this family numerous times and never fired a shot and had the most amazing times of my life. I have assisted elderly gentlemen getting on and off the horses, held horses for the shooters, served lunch, bragged on their shooting skills, but didn't laugh when they missed. I usually get three offers a year to come and hunt, and I don't decline the offer. I hope you have as great an experience as I have.

B
That sounds like an amazing experience.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
That sounds like an amazing experience.
One can only imagine the people my son gets to meet. It is truly an amazing experience! That is the reason I turn into a helper when I drive down to hunt. I enjoy helping the older gentlemen and the bonds of friendship we form out in the field there. I am not into killing quail, but I truly love the entire experience of the old south we will never genuinely live through again.

GregJ

Being out of practice i'd go with a mod choke, light mod if you have one, that would give you a second to focus and pick a single bird out of the covey. If you do get a good draw on a bird and its to close to shoot just give it a second and it'll be good to go.
You can delay a shot on a tight choke, but not a loose one.

rukiddin

B
I toured one in Alabama a few years back. One of the finest managed pieces of ground I've ever seen in my life. It was right at 12k acres. From the habitat to the kennels to the stables. All wild birds. They averaged 8 covey finds an hour. A true representation of what bottomless pockets can do for bobwhite quail. I'm no knocking it one bit, truly a eye opening experience and I'm envious of your son. Places like that, I'd be just as happy watching as I would be shooting.
other than the safety rules, their number one rule was you never shoot singles. You only shoot the covey rise then move on to find another covey. Long live gentleman Bob!!!!!

Latest posts