Pull your dang lines...

catman529

I love running limb lines every now and then. Actually just ran 18 and brought home 7 channel cats. But on the way back down the lake, this bird caught my eye. I brought the boat around to check on it, and yes it was caught in the line.

26aa98e9ae5b2bcf21d8a13c67fd7e79.jpg

I cut the line loose, but left the hook in. The leading edge of its wing was torn pretty bad and the hook was stuck so I just left it in. Looked like the bird needed to rest and get some strength back. It was trying to bite me so I guess it has some hope, lol.

But seriously...so many dumb a$$ rednecks on the water leave their lines out and don't check them or take them down when they're done. There were several of these lines and none of them had any ID on them.

I put a piece of orange tape with my TWRA number on all of mine and I check them the next morning and remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MickThompson

I've found them hanging dead on limblines before, and just because it isn't baited, doesn't mean it's not fishing. One legendary night in particular, we strung lines the afternoon before and came back to bait the next day. We had 25-30 hooks in the water and had 3 on unbaited hooks waiting to greet us when we arrived to bait up. I think we ended up with nearly 30 that night.

Noodles are just as bad. I've started anchoring my noodles so they don't end up across the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

MickThompson":1zp2cr3f said:
I've found them hanging dead on limblines before, and just because it isn't baited, doesn't mean it's not fishing. One legendary night in particular, we strung lines the afternoon before and came back to bait the next day. We had 25-30 hooks in the water and had 3 on unbaited hooks waiting to greet us when we arrived to bait up. I think we ended up with nearly 30 that night.

Noodles are just as bad. I've started anchoring my noodles so they don't end up across the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always set mine out and bait them at the same time. In the evening. Then I pull them all the next morning. Haven't caught a bird yet. I've seen so many old lines that have been hanging so long the string turns brown and the hooks start to rot. People don't check their lines often enough

catman529

nitro_z17":304frbe7 said:
MickThompson":304frbe7 said:
nitro_z17":304frbe7 said:
the owners name should be tagged on the line, turn it in

I'd wager less than 10% are tagged.

lol, i think 10 is rather generous :rotf:
true story, I never see any tagged lines other than my own. Game wardens came by full speed and waved back at me but didn't even bother to check that I was next to a bunch of un tagged lines.

Latest posts