Public Service Announcement

Bone Collector

Just a friendly PSA. I wasn't gonna post this, but then I saw 3 similar threads and decided to do it.

This is a place for advice, and fellowship amongst outdoorsman, but.....

If you have been a member here for years (or are relatively new here), but never post, do not show up and ask people for spots on public land, even if it is a draw hunt. Even if you are asking where to scout, you are asking for a good spot to hunt. Most likely, no one is going to give you that. It does happen, but it is rare. People put in annually for these hunts as they may live close by. They know there is a chance someone may show up and hunt the area they are wanting to hunt. However, they do not want to ensure that someone will want to hunt the area they want to hunt. Being it is public, you may have to call an audible and go to your 2nd or 3rd spot. If you offer those up, you may not be able to get in there... my guess is if they give up info they have tons of places to hunt on the place and don't mind giving up a spot they don't hunt anymore, but don't hold your breath.

I've gone in blind on draw hunts on every draw hunt I have been on. Learn to read a topo map, and understand what terrain funnels look like on them. From there, look at how easy it is to access the area. The easier it is the more likely you will have company. The old adage go in deep and hunt longer is a good one, but not always the case. Sometimes the area everyone walks past to get back there is the ticket... You have to find spots on a map that look promising and then put boots on the ground. I know time is short, but it is what it is. Sometimes the first time is a learning trip. Also, you don't want a ton of spots as you cannot realistically look at them all. So try to find 2-3 that look good and if you go in day 1 and it is a bust maybe get something eat and check out spot 2 at lunch, then decide if you like it there or spot 1. Maybe you get to spot 3 if you keep striking out, but eventually if you have picked some good funnels my guess is you'll see some deer.

In other words welcome back, but come around more often and you may see that folks are willing to help you. That's all carry on.

Last edited:

Omega

Rocket.gif

tellico4x4

onX is your best friend when looking for a place to hunt in a new area. It's what I have used out west since it came out. I do tons of e-scouting every year, makes boots on the ground way more productive. The elite members have access to terrain features now that look very promising. Only available on PC right now but phone apps are in the works.

killingtime 41

Just a friendly PSA. I wasn't gonna post this, but then I saw 3 similar threads and decided to do it.

This is a place for advice, and fellowship amongst outdoorsman, but.....

If you have been a member here for years (or are relatively new here), but never post, do not show up and ask people for spots on public land, even if it is a draw hunt. Even if you are asking where to scout, you are asking for a good spot to hunt. Most likely, no one is going to give you that. It does happen, but it is rare. People put in annually for these hunts as they may live close by. They know there is a chance someone may show up and hunt the area they are wanting to hunt. However, they do not want to ensure that someone will want to hunt the area they want to hunt. Being it is public, you may have to call an audible and go to your 2nd or 3rd spot. If you offer those up, you may not be able to get in there... my guess is if they give up info they have tons of places to hunt on the place and don't mind giving up a spot they don't hunt anymore, but don't hold your breath.

I've gone in blind on draw hunts on every draw hunt I have been on. Learn to read a topo map, and understand what terrain funnels look like on them. From there, look at how easy it is to access the area. The easier it is the more likely you will have company. The old adage go in deep and hunt longer is a good one, but not always the case. Sometimes the area everyone walks past to get back there is the ticket... You have to find spots on a map that look promising and then put boots on the ground. I know time is short, but it is what it is. Sometimes the first time is a learning trip. Also, you don't want a ton of spots as you cannot realistically look at them all. So try to find 2-3 that look good and if you go in day 1 and it is a bust maybe get something eat and check out spot 2 at lunch, then decide if you like it there or spot 1. Maybe you get to spot 3 if you keep striking out, but eventually if you have picked some good funnels my guess is you'll see some deer.

In other words welcome back, but come around more often and you may see that folks are willing to help you. That's all carry on.
I would add to that and pm the person and carry on the conversation like that. Don't lay it out for all eyes to see. It is the fastest way to not have that spot anymore. And its campfire approved. I've had to make several new accounts over the years. As other accounts were hacked via email and I didn't want it to get anyone else hacked by logging in here.

DeerMan66

onX is your best friend when looking for a place to hunt in a new area. It's what I have used out west since it came out. I do tons of e-scouting every year, makes boots on the ground way more productive. The elite members have access to terrain features now that look very promising. Only available on PC right now but phone apps are in the works.
What he said. I got on a different lease last year and OnX put me at least 2 years ahead on learning the property vs learning it without OnX. You can pick several spots that look promising to go check out first. It makes scouting much more efficient.

Latest posts