Public Hunting Load-out

SamboWilly

This is my first quota deer hunt on public land. It will be a muzzleloader hunt.
Would love to see a list of your typical day load out? Equipment, backpack, glass, clothing, boots, especially stands!
Any spot and stalkers? Anyone using the new tree sticks? Where to start?
Thanks to all! Looking forward to hunting big ground and enjoying the Fall 🍁 in TN.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
May be best to stay away from the "spot and stalk" as you might walk up on another hunter. It an be hard to not do this as even when you are a long way from anyone some one will pop up in a tree. Not saying you can't "spot and stalk" just saying it might be better to hold off. Either way good hunting.

Shed Hunter

May be best to stay away from the "spot and stalk" as you might walk up on another hunter. It an be hard to not do this as even when you are a long way from anyone some one will pop up in a tree. Not saying you can't "spot and stalk" just saying it might be better to hold off. Either way good hunting.
I agree with this during a quota hunt.

I do a lot of still hunting on public, but mostly bow only (and let's be honest I'm too easily bored so it's mostly scouting and looking for old sheds rather than hunting) but on a quota hunt you have a lot of random people that'll shoot the first movement they see

MickThompson

I'd save spot and stalk for midday if at all. Quotas are way too high for that generally.

Rakkin6

I hunt mainly public land and when I do an all day hunt these are the items I bring.

-Pack
-TOILET PAPER/WET WIPES
-Water
-Trail mix/peanut butter sandwich etc
-Headlamp with extra set of batteries (I have accidentally turned or left mine on all day before so glad I carry extra)
- Thermacell
- Hunter Orange
- Either a Topo Map on your phone or an actual map with compass if you are not familiar with the land
- Sharp knife
- If you are inclined scent killer wipes or spray
- Some sort of wind detector

These are the items I carry in along with climber and gun or bow. Also I agree with the others I avoid still hunting on public land. Look for 3 or 4 different spots on a map or through boots on the ground in case you get to your first choice and someone is already there. Best of luck to you brother

Bone Collector

Here is my list of Items I put in my day pack (I put tree stand on the list, but that is not in my pack 😂)

Pack
-TOILET PAPER/WET WIPES
- Safety Harness
- Tree Stand
- Binos
- Extra ammo and in your case powder
-Water
-Food
-Headlamp with extra set of batteries
- Thermacell
- Hunter Orange
- Either a Topo Map on your phone or GPS
- Sharp knife
- scent killer wipes or spray
- Some sort of wind detector
- If you are not allowed to go in with an ATV or can't get back to camp for a deer cart easily - A piece of good rope to drag a deer with.
- lighter (if you get hurt or stranded it will be good to be able to make fire). I also like to put old paper towel rolls or TP rolls stuffed with lint in a small zip-lock with the lighter for fire starter.

Shanman

....... plus

Box of Brite Eyes
Couple pair nitrile gloves in a ziploc bag, use bag to carry out soiled gloves.
Small first aid kit in waterproof bag
Tree umbrella, leave in truck when no chance of rain, but definitely have one to take if needed.
Packable rain jacket
12' paracord

paradis1142

20210810_185405.jpg

Attachments

• 20210810_185316.jpg
    20210810_185316.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 41

middleTNbowhunter

My list includes:
• Pack
• Weapon (plus bullets, arrows, etc.)
• Water
• Snacks
• Toilet paper
• Vest/extra layer for warmth
• Thermacell if early season
• Blaze orange (tons of it)
• Kill kit (knife, gloves, fresh trash bags for meat)
• Saddle (Cruzr XC) and ropes
• Climbing sticks (Hawk Helium's)
• Platform (Tethrd Predator)
• Med kit (tourniquet, bandages, tape, Tylenol, etc.)
• Phone
• Wallet, license, etc.

bjohnson

Keep it simple. Enough to sustain you for an all day sit. I would not still hunt public land, use a mobile setup instead. That way you can move if needed.

BigRed1080

Seems to be an awful lot of spot and stalkers at oak ridge every time I get drawn, they spot other hunters and stalk right in front of them without eye contact, or my favorites are the ones that stroll up and ask if you've seen anything… really?
When they walk right to the base of the tree and say "hey hey hey you had any luck today?" I'm like yeah yeah I killed a monster and I'm still just sitting in this tree for fun.

Latest posts