Public crowd

REN

Except that's not true. THP was paid by a private company to create content on how to use an app, tag birds and register birds, etc which they included in TN hunting videos. None of that money came from TWRA or from "your" money.

This is true. Was paid for by their license vendor (Brandt). Some of the funds did come from the hard card money but some also was paid for by the vendor themselves

deerfever

You must hunt private most of the time. Lol, Yes I go hunt other states but I sure don't film it, tell where I am and act like I am recruiting new hunters because there is a lack of them( no public land hunter appreciates that). Yes they have a right to hunt wherever they want, but don't expect everyone to jump up and down when they tell the state and come on over. . I am on the move as I was just working a bird and one of the new recruits come in trying to gobble at the him! Yes you read that correctly. Turkeys flew in every direction! Lol, yep what we need more people. Again we all are entitled to an opinion. We better put a quota on non residents like others states have done as this was not the time to be begging people to come to TN. 0 problems with them Coming just limit it to pre covid numbers.if these guys doing this just want to share hunts why even tell what state they are in? I am telling you first hand we left last Saturday at lunch because public was crowded with non residents I was more than nice to them as again I go out of state and have to apply to some before going.

Last edited:

simpzenith

Maybe to our grown up, briar patch wma parking areas and some food plots on the wmas in East Tennessee. Sure doesn't need to be blown on advertising. Typical government.
The hard cards are an optional purchase and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe it's a product actually produced by TWRA but instead another source of revenue for Brandt. As for the money THP received, they donated all of it (and more) to wild turkey research projects.

TheLBLman

Where would you have like to seen that money go if I may ask?
If I may say, assuming they're using my money to further harm an already damaged resource (due to too much turkey hunting being allowed), I'd rather just not pay extra for that "hard" card.

Instead of my paying extra for it, so they have more funds available to promote more non-resident hunting, how about just giving everyone a hard card without charging them extra, if I may say?

Last edited:

simpzenith

Instead of my paying extra for it, so they have more funds available to promote more non-resident hunting, how about just giving everyone a hard card without charging them extra, if I may say?
TWRA doesn't make any money from the hard cards. This is an optional purchase provided by Brandt for generating revenue (private company). It cost money to produce the hard cards so giving them out for free wouldn't be wise of them.

TheLBLman

I am telling you first hand we left last Saturday at lunch because public was crowded with non residents I was more than nice to them as again I go out of state and have to apply to some before going.
Like you, I have no problem with non-resident hunters, and am myself a non-resident hunter at times in other states.

What I have a problem with is TWRA over-promoting non-resident license sales, as well as ONLY keeping our season opening date so early, greatly harming the turkey population, because of those non-resident license sales.

TWRA is supposed to be protecting the resource.
When it comes to our turkeys, they have been doing more harm than good.

And these promotions are not just limited to "public" lands.
I've been on a large deer-turkey hunting lease in TN for many years.
Non-resident turkey hunters have consistently killed around half the turkeys killed over all those years on this private property hunting lease (even though they have represented only about 10% of the members).

While many talk about many the non-resident turkey hunters being "googans",
I've found just the opposite on most private lands as well as many public lands.

MOST the non-resident turkey hunters I've met have been very proficient turkey killers.
On average, these non-resident turkey hunters are much more accomplished than our average TN turkey hunter.

Many those in this sub-set of hunters limit out in another State (such as Florida or Alabama) BEFORE the TN turkey season opens. They then come to TN, limit out on turkeys within a week of hunting TN, then move on to their home state or some other State (with a later opening date), often killing a dozen or so long-beards EVERY year.

I'm friends with some of these guys, and do not begrudge them like I may sound.

My problem is with the TWRA mis-managing the resource (when it comes to turkeys).

Our season opens too early.
And the main reason it continues to open so early is to attract more non-resident turkey hunters.

REN

Well, I consider that $ "my" part of "my" payment to TWRA.
IMO, there was better places for it to go.

I understand what your saying, but working for a different license vendor I understand more the contract side. "Hard Card" funds are most likely part of the contract that the money for those is used as payment the vendor. Without that then the normal license sales would have a higher "convenience fee" to cover the cost.

That current fee is what the vendor bills the state for as payment for the new system. It's not something g the TWRA keeps.

As I stated in a different thread. It's a double edge sword. More NR license money = more money for wildlife. Less license sales then less for wildlife but possible less crowded woods.

You can't have the desire for the TWRA to do more for public lands and wildlife while at the same time saying we also want you to sell far less license

Just my 2 cent. I don't really have a dog in this as I don't hunt public land

paboom

I hate opening day! 3rd year in a row some yahoo has screwed me up. Today, I was first at the gate, 2.5 hrs before daylight. Got on a gobbling bird on the roost and closed within 100 yards. Yahoo comes from behind me squawking on a box call and blows the turkey out. Then, sits down 30 yards behind me. Walk back to the truck and 2 people are parked behind me. And no, there is not enough room there for 2 people, much less 3.

CritterGitter

I hate opening day! 3rd year in a row some yahoo has screwed me up. Today, I was first at the gate, 2.5 hrs before daylight. Got on a gobbling bird on the roost and closed within 100 yards. Yahoo comes from behind me squawking on a box call and blows the turkey out. Then, sits down 30 yards behind me. Walk back to the truck and 2 people are parked behind me. And no, there is not enough room there for 2 people, much less 3.
Thats terrible, 30 yards ? I wouldve followed him all day and made sure no bird was killed

redblood

Talk about confusing issues. Wow. Nobody cares that THP hunts Tennessee. The problem is TWRA used our money to pay them $10k to advertise how great the turkey hunting is in Tennessee. After cutting our limit. THP has 463,000 subscribers. If 10% of them come to TN and hunt public land that's 46,300 new hunters!
Twra paid them with public funds? Thats bs right there. We shouldnt have to actively recruit hunters

AT Hiker

Kinda like China paying Hunter Biden…

76149AF0-E0FD-4F68-9489-3CB72C0CD012.jpeg

Latest posts