Problem solved

TRIGGER

If you're interested in the damages that modified sine waves can cause over long periods versus pure sine waves Google it. There are engineers who have devoted their entire careers to studying this, and can describe it in a much more competent manner than I can If you are running any sensitive electronics, stay the hell away from modified sine. Fans even have a severely reduced lifecyle. Pretty much every high quality inverter that is running an entire home i or business is pure sine. Modified signs are what you see for sale at cheap truck stops. Pure sine is about 2x as much. To keep it in simple terms, a modified sine wave is like choppy water, a pure sine wave is like a smooth flow of current.

View attachment 202228

In certain situations, the modified sign can actually be slowly burning up electronics, or causing unusable RF static on a boat, as well as all types of unwanted interference

MSW vs PSW graph.
Wow thanks for the information. Showing my ignorance but I have never even heard of this. How do you know what you have?

WTM

inverter/charger combos and you'll need to check if you are running 120v appliances off the inverter side. mostly used on big boats and yachts.
ifin i were to used one of these things on my electronics i would surely be checking the ripple voltage specs.
IMG_1456.jpeg

Smells Like Sulfur

Wow thanks for the information. Showing my ignorance but I have never even heard of this. How do you know what you have?

Here's an article that keeps it simple and short as to why the different current carrying abilities can create damage in certain devices. Some devices are completely unaffected, while some won't run at all. I plugged a monitor I had into a modified sign wave inverter and it fried it immediately. When I run things on MSW I start to notice strange humming noises coming out of motors, and plug inclocks are slightly off, if ran for a long time.

If I could give one piece of advice for anybody building an AC system from batteries, make sure you get a pure sign wave inverter. Better yet, keep the whole system DC and skip the AC all together, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Latest posts