primers

Nsghunter

I found the primers I wanted in stock tonight. I bought:
500 large rifle
500 large pistol
200 small pistol (I already had 300 at home)

I should have enough to do me for a few days since I've had my press for two years and only loaded 12 rounds yet.

How many primers do you try to keep in stock?

DaveB

Take your shooting numbers for a year and double that. Now, How long did the most recent primer drought take to clear up as much as it has, which is a long way from where it was in say Summer 2012. So, 4 years times your double annual utilization.

This would be a conservative number and assumes you have a nice dry place you store the primers.

Note: As your load experience increases you will shoot more.

Heads up for political commentary:

I cannot begin to tell you the sinking feeling you get when you need primers and go to the store and none can be found. Go into BassPro and there is no factory ammo on the shelves. It is a really weird feeling. And if we elect hrc it is going to be a lot worse.

Mr. Chitlin

DaveB":1nzz5hsm said:
Take your shooting numbers for a year and double that. Now, How long did the most recent primer drought take to clear up as much as it has, which is a long way from where it was in say Summer 2012. So, 4 years times your double annual utilization.

This would be a conservative number and assumes you have a nice dry place you store the primers.

I cannot begin to tell you the sinking feeling you get when you need primers and go to the store and none can be found. Go into BassPro and there is no factory ammo on the shelves. It is a really weird feeling. And if we elect hrc it is going to be a lot worse.
I remember in '08 and '12 when O got elected that people were begging just for a box of ammo to hunt with. The shelves were empty for months and months. If you need any ammo at all you better stock up in the next 3 and a half weeks.

I've made sure I'll never be caught in that predicament.

DaveB

I think there was no such thing as small rifle primers for 18 months.

My idea of a stash may not be the same as anyone else's.

I really don't care if someone thinks I am crazy or hoarding.

Nsg you should maintain a supply of components sufficient unto your needs which you and you alone must define.

Trump may be a weak candidate but he beats the crap outta hrc

mr.big

about 18 months ago I started dumping my spent primers and odd powders I would leave on the bench in quart jars,,just mainly primers though,,and I have no idea how many that would be,,I do know I have shot out 5-6 barrels in that time though,,

Hunter 257W

mr.big":191pu9cf said:
about 18 months ago I started dumping my spent primers and odd powders I would leave on the bench in quart jars,,just mainly primers though,,and I have no idea how many that would be,,I do know I have shot out 5-6 barrels in that time though,,

Yeah, you need waaaay more than most people in your stock at the rate you shoot! :mrgreen:

7mm08

DaveB":2c6iuhog said:

I vacuum seal my boxes of primers until I need them.

Latest posts