Primer pushing out

TRIGGER

darn2ten":2km4mqt8 said:
How many times has that brass been reloaded? Did the primer pocket feel loose or easy when you seated a new primer?

First time it has been reloaded. Actually this exact batch of 4 were the very first thing I ever reloaded. The pockets were actually tight due to the crimp. I didn't remove enough of the crimp the first time and adjusted until the primer would seat without screwing it up. Wasted a few primers but I guess that's a givin with a Rookie. I loaded the 50 cal first but never fired any of them until this one today. I have since reloaded 100+ 270 and some 223 with no problems like this.

darn2ten

TRIGGER":29n8gh1b said:
darn2ten":29n8gh1b said:
How many times has that brass been reloaded? Did the primer pocket feel loose or easy when you seated a new primer?

First time it has been reloaded. Actually this exact batch of 4 were the very first thing I ever reloaded. The pockets were actually tight due to the crimp. I didn't remove enough of the crimp the first time and adjusted until the primer would seat without screwing it up. Wasted a few primers but I guess that's a givin with a Rookie. I loaded the 50 cal first but never fired any of them until this one today. I have since reloaded 100+ 270 and some 223 with no problems like this.
Yeah, I was just guessing. I have no clue about 50 BMG, 158.5 gr of powder :shock: lol! I mainly load 30 cal stuff.

kry226

As you mentioned, it's a low powered load. Sometimes, the primer backing out like that is indicative of an under-powered charge. Increase your charge and I bet you get better results. Good luck.

Jcalder

kry226":kyq456gw said:
As you mentioned, it's a low powered load. Sometimes, the primer backing out like that is indicative of an under-powered charge. Increase your charge and I bet you get better results. Good luck.
x2.

My other question is haven't you had a little trouble with this gun since you had it

Big or small, kill em all

TRIGGER

Jcalder":3cxwh8ae said:
kry226":3cxwh8ae said:
x2.

My other question is haven't you had a little trouble with this gun since you had it

Big or small, kill em all

Only with American eagle ammunition. PMC and Hornady work well.

TRIGGER

You guys are great. I'm trusting you on this lol. I see a primer blowing out as high pressure or me screwing something up bad so I didn't shoot any more. My next charge is 193.3. The difference in recoil from the one I shot and a factory Hornady 750 gn amax is LARGE fyi lol

Nsghunter

TRIGGER":coy3s4g6 said:
You guys are great. I'm trusting you on this lol. I see a primer blowing out as high pressure or me screwing something up bad so I didn't shoot any more. My next charge is 193.3. The difference in recoil from the one I shot and a factory Hornady 750 gn amax is LARGE fyi lol

You're shootin' a 50...

Recoil... who'd a thunk it. ":)

TRIGGER

mr.big":2telovvf said:
excessive headspace,,jam the bullets hard in the lands to hold the case against the boltface

The reason I have not shot these until now is because I was unsure on the C.O.L. I needed to load these at. The book recommendation (it specifies a different gun) has shoved the bullet hard into the lands and I was thinking it was too much so I have been concentrating on other things. I recently aquired a few boxes of Hornady rounds loaded with the AMAX and they did well. I copied the O.A.L. Of the factory rounds loaded with the same bullet. The factory Hornady loads don't push the primer out. Is it a combination of head space and lite load?

kry226

TRIGGER":3hgymima said:
Admittedly I have little experience with the .50, but as with "regular" cartridges, I think too high of a charge will present as a flattened primer, or even perforated primer in extreme/dangerous cases. Just be careful and go slow. The book won't steer you wrong.

jlanecr500

There have been several different answers and they are all correct. You have resized the cases, pushing their shoulder back. Then you are shooting a low pressure load that does not expand the case to fit the chamber, allowing the primer to pushout. The factory ammo has more pressure to expand the brass fully. If you were to reload the factory ammo fired brass after only neck sizing, the primer wouldn"t push out with the light load.

TRIGGER

jlanecr500":2bw5m4wx said:
There have been several different answers and they are all correct. You have resized the cases, pushing their shoulder back. Then you are shooting a low pressure load that does not expand the case to fit the chamber, allowing the primer to pushout. The factory ammo has more pressure to expand the brass fully. If you were to reload the factory ammo fired brass after only neck sizing, the primer wouldn"t push out with the light load.

Ahh that makes sense.

mr.big

you can full length size with really good results you just have to set the die up correctly,,if you bump the shoulder back to far when you fire a round the firing pin will push the case forward and the pressure will back the primer out ,,but usually the pressure will flatten the primer back out making it look like overpressure when it really is just a sizing issue,,

with the different issues you been having I would want to at least have the headspace checked and make sure everything checks out OK,,