Price reduced!!!Early Winchester model 70 30/06 $$900.00

SPD FRK 70

Not totally sure what push feed is but i don't believe that it was made before 64? I believe that it was made in 1964 but not before
Look up controlled round feed vs push feed when you get a chance you'll probably get a simple explanation on Google it's interesting to know the difference The newer models are push feed

Tenntrapper

Google the serial number and it will tell you the difference. The Pre'64 is more valuable.
It's hard to see, but the bolt looks like a push feed, which would make it "post" '64
They have been controlled feed, just like the pre-64's since 92.
I thought they were a modified "controlled round push feed" till about '07 when they introduced the "classic", which is CRF?

Just re-read some of the history. Dave is correct in them having a CRF since '92, but it was only in the top of the line "classic" models. Most model 70s from then till '06 were still push feed. Since '07, I believe the CRF is all that's available.

Last edited:

Gravey

I know the controlled round feeds were supposedly better and more valuable than push feed and honestly I have no idea the difference. I had a classic 300WSM one time that was CRF and have a 30-06 Ranger mom and dad bought me in the mid 80's that's push feed. That 30-06 has one of the smoothest bolts if not the smoothest of any gun i have or have ever owned.

Beautiful gun and great guy to deal with.

BPhunter

Controlled round feed rifles command a much higher price than push feeds. Whether they are a better rifle, or more or less accurate, is a mute point.
I agree. Tha rifle whether pre or post 64' were pretty darn accurate, depending on the operator. I had a pre 64' and like a dummy, I sold years ago. Hunting one day I realized just how much I loved that rifle. Found another one and it was post 64', didn't care I bought it and will never sell it. Did some upgrades to it and took many elk and deer with it. We have mostly hunted ML season the last 20 years so it only gets used for fun at this time. Thinking of going rifle season this year though and it would accompany me also.

SPD FRK 70

Controlled round feed rifles command a much higher price than push feeds. Whether they are a better rifle, or more or less accurate, is a mute point.
So from what I'm gathering the controlled round feed people are generally guides on big dangerous game hunts they don't care much for push feed they think it's inherently less reliable

Tenntrapper

So from what I'm gathering the controlled round feed people are generally guides on big dangerous game hunts they don't care much for push feed they think it's inherently less reliable
Pretty much. With CRF, you can turn the rifle upside down, work the action, and no issues. The bolt maintains control of the round. Same scenario with push feed, and good chance you will get a jammed rifle. Not something you want with an elephant bearing down on you.

Latest posts