Poundage for turkeys?

Radar

You can . I like to avoid passthroughs on Turkeys if possible , so I'll drop the draw weight , and use a larger mechanical head . If you hit them right , they are anchored .

LCU

I shoot Turkeys with my SBE2 using a Kicks Gobblin thunder choke.
It's so tight, you have to aim like a rifle at 30 yds, or you will miss his head completely.

I took one early last season,but led a huge gobbler about 1" and missed his head.

I still have not been able to forget about that bird yet.

LCU

For turkey bow hunting I would use the broadhead designed for it.
It's very wide,like wires sticking out.

Fordman

LCU said:
For turkey bow hunting I would use the broadhead designed for it.
It's very wide,like wires sticking out.

Very bad idea, unless your very good at bow tuning. Look adjust your poundage only if you want, you dont need to at all. Use you same broadheads as deer hunting. Shot placement is the key not broadhead type. I have killed over two dozen turkeys with my bow using a muzzy three blade, the same one i deer hunt with. If you change to one of those specialty heads you can run into major tuning issues as far as arrow flight goes. Perfect arrow flight is the key to accurate shooting. If you can shoot your deer set up accuratly then I dont advise changing a thing.

Radar

Shot placement is everything when it comes to Turkeys . I strive to take out both hips on a side shot . They can't fly or run without their hips and it's one of the most deadly shots on a Turkey , because their vitals are located farther back.

I didn't Turkey hunt last season , but I took two the previous season with a bow , and anchored both with hip shots . One with a Slick Trick fixed blade , and the other with a Wasp Jackhammer Mechanical head .

Fordman

LCU said:
So for a Turkey bow shot, aim for center mass?
Will that get it done?
My thing is to set your decoys up so the bird had to face away from you. When he is in strut facing your decoy shoot him about 2 inches above his arsehole. Anchors them fast

Fordman

lol @ radar I am trying to dig up my slides from Bowhunters Education we used with the shot placement stuff. Shows both the shot you described and the shot I did.

Fordman

I prefer the butt shot because the turkeys head is behind the fan so there are no worrys about drawing the bow and getting busted.

Double Drops

Radar said:
Double Drops said:
Guys, please do the turkeys a favor & know what you're shooting at. Killing a turkey is 100% shot placement. Here are some great diagrams.

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=85425

I posted a link with shot placement . I'm not sure what you are getting at . :confused:

I was responding to the post below. I didn't see the post you made before mine. Sorry about that.

LCU said:
So for a Turkey bow shot, aim for center mass?
Will that get it done?

Latest posts