Potted up 66 maters

catman529

Not gonna plant out till mid/late april as usual even with the temps. Plants are set to be ready by then anyway.

Did the tomatoes but ran out of time for peppers. Doing the peppers next.

P1030328.jpg

P1030329.jpg

P1030331.jpg

With that Miracle Gro potting mix they're gonna grow like weeds... my favorite part of growing seedlings.

catman529

Thanks man.

Potted up 36 hot peppers today, pics still on camera.

7 plants each of jalapeno, black pearl, cayenne, habanero. and 8 of bhut jolokia (ghost chili).

catman529

In_my_sights said:
so what do you do with the ghost chili except for video people eating it then posting it on you tube. :)
well that is a very good use for them actually. :grin: You can use them in food, just not as much or it will overpower.

Been talking about doing this for at least a couple years now, but I want to get some grain alcohol, highest proof possible, and soak a bunch of peppers in it. No it's not for drinking lol.... let them soak good, cause the capsaicin (heat) in peppers dissolves in alcohol but not water. Then I can take out the peppers and let the extract evaporate for a couple days and get a very concentrated liquid that I can use on food or put into people's drinks when they aren't looking.

catman529

just your standard 4' shop lights with GE cool white daylight 40w tubes. Don't waste your money on the plant & aquarium tubes. They're a lor more expensive and will be noticeably dimmer after a years use. The cool white daylight ones are cheaper and provide plenty of spectrum for the plants. Always keep the lights close to the plants so they don't get leggy. (i raised the lights for the pics)

a retrohillbilly

I have been raising Jolokia for a few years, make hot sauce. It is tasty but does have serious heat. I only nibble the peppers themselves to check heat.

Nimrod777

Looks great! I finally put some seeds in soil this weekend. My tomatoes will be coming up late if at all, but at least I got a start! I'll have to be doing a garden from scratch this year at the new rental house.

catman529

Nimrod777 said:
Looks great! I finally put some seeds in soil this weekend. My tomatoes will be coming up late if at all, but at least I got a start! I'll have to be doing a garden from scratch this year at the new rental house.
you will get at least a few maters if enough sunlight. Someone at the community garden a couple years direct seeded tomatoes into the ground after frost instead of using transplants. Their tomatoes were far behind but I think I did see a few fruits on there later in the summer.

Latest posts