potential reg changes?? good news for caney???

stik

i would like to see the brookies excluded from the PLR. on the clinch too. you could potentially catch a state record fish and it not be legal to keep. i don't think very many,if any,of the brookies will make it to 20 in.

stik

Model70Man said:
I have caught a several 16 in Brook in the Clinch. They will make it if they are protected in the slot range.

the biggest we have caught was 11 1/2 in. if these are the southern strain fish, they won't make it to 20 in. with the VERY rare exception.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I don't know about here, but I have caught a ton of brookies over 20 inches in Canada and especially up on the tundra. They call them speckled trout. My biggest was 25.5 inches.

I don't know yet how I feel about the changes for the Caney. It would help if I knew what they hoped to accomplish and how the changes would help. None of them affect me since I don't keep any trout but I can sure see some fit hitting the shan. I have always been in favor of slot limits for largemouth bass on any lake. Let me keep five under 18" and if I so desire, one over 22". But that plays he11 with tournament fishing and we sure can't do that, can we?

I'd like to see a report come out that says, "This is what we want to do. This is how we plan to do it and this is how it will work and this is who or what it will benefit.

I almost started a riot at a TOWA conference a few years ago when I asked a fisheries biologist to support his statements with facts. He couldn't.

stik

bowriter said:
I don't know about here, but I have caught a ton of brookies over 20 inches in Canada and especially up on the tundra. They call them speckled trout. My biggest was 25.5 inches.

I don't know yet how I feel about the changes for the Caney. It would help if I knew what they hoped to accomplish and how the changes would help. None of them affect me since I don't keep any trout but I can sure see some fit hitting the shan. I have always been in favor of slot limits for largemouth bass on any lake. Let me keep five under 18" and if I so desire, one over 22". But that plays he11 with tournament fishing and we sure can't do that, can we?

I'd like to see a report come out that says, "This is what we want to do. This is how we plan to do it and this is how it will work and this is who or what it will benefit.

I almost started a riot at a TOWA conference a few years ago when I asked a fisheries biologist to support his statements with facts. He couldn't.

the northern strain brookies are a different fish.

stillinscrubs

The strain advertised being placed into the tailwaters are neither a northern or southern strain. It is a strain developed in Washington state by an Indian tribe. The original strain that was modified was from New England from what I recall.

Model70Man

stik said:
Model70Man said:
I have caught a several 16 in Brook in the Clinch. They will make it if they are protected in the slot range.

the biggest we have caught was 11 1/2 in. if these are the southern strain fish, they won't make it to 20 in. with the VERY rare exception.

The Brook trout that are in there now will grow well over 20 inches. These are not the same Brook trout in the Smokey's. They have grown over 4 inches in one year. The Brook trout are very aggressive and have a voracious appetite. They just need to be protected since they will not be stocking them anymore. I throw all of the Brook trout I catch back.

gil1

I was hoping for a creel reduced to 5 fish and a 26 inch minimum on browns, but this is a start. I'm all for it and believe it will help fishing.

drrxnupe

I'm all for it as well. Being new to trout fishing, I would have assumed that regs would have been stiffer. I found it amazing that the Caney and other prime TN trout areas would have the same or similiar regs as winter stock areas where it's not expected for them to survive year round.

bowriter

R.I.P.
stillinscrubs said:
The strain advertised being placed into the tailwaters are neither a northern or southern strain. It is a strain developed in Washington state by an Indian tribe. The original strain that was modified was from New England from what I recall.

Would that be the ones they call Wampus cats? I believe Indians had something to do with them.

stik

Model70Man said:
stik said:
Model70Man said:

The Brook trout that are in there now will grow well over 20 inches. These are not the same Brook trout in the Smokey's. They have grown over 4 inches in one year. The Brook trout are very aggressive and have a voracious appetite. They just need to be protected since they will not be stocking them anymore. I throw all of the Brook trout I catch back.

i hope you are right. :)
we don't keep them either.

Tubakka

Gil...have you ever CAUGHT a 26" brown?...I didn't even think you knew they got that big!

SIDAWN!!!!

...haha just giving you crap. I've researched some quasi successful tailrace salmonid stockings in other states with Chinook and atlantics, maybe not Caney but why not Clinch? Big cold and full of forage...

The brooks in Caney are the OHWI strain or something, Scrubs is right. They will get big. I don't know how far past 20" but they will. Considering their limited table fare in comparison and small size in general, let the rainbows and a few occasional nicer browns for hte grill...brooks shoud be managed for size methinks. It's a little idyllic but hell let's get some of the labrador ocean strains in there...linebacker brooks.

..and of course, there's always hucho taimen....there'd be a sudden decline in the muskrat/minke population on the Caney haha.

B.D.

Model70Man said:
The Brook trout that are in there now will grow well over 20 inches. These are not the same Brook trout in the Smokey's. They have grown over 4 inches in one year. The Brook trout are very aggressive and have a voracious appetite. They just need to be protected since they will not be stocking them anymore.

I had heard from TWRA that they would continue to stock brook trout whenever they are available. Has this changed?

I personally have my doubts about the brook trout growing past 20". Yeah, they grow fast, but they don't live long. In that respect, they are like crappie. It would be awesome to catch a 20"+ brookie but I predict that we'll see the vast majority of the big ones grow to between 14" and 16" and then peter out.

bd

B.D.

Tubakka said:
I've researched some quasi successful tailrace salmonid stockings in other states with Chinook and atlantics, maybe not Caney but why not Clinch? Big cold and full of forage...

I'd like to see your sources, but I have my doubts about how well salmon would do where they can't "sea run" to a big body of water such as the ocean or the Great Lakes. I expect you'd see your stockers migrate downriver into Old Hickory each spring and then die when the water got too warm.

bd

Tubakka

Montana below Ft. Peck had a semi successful run of Chinooks in their tailrace that produced fish over 30 pounds. And some atlantics. There isn't much more available except that they produced some nice fish. just sounded intriguing. You wanna talk sources? The state put Atlantic salmon in Center Hill a while back... you have got to be kidding me. Didn't see fish one.

Model70Man

Brian Dunigan said:
Model70Man said:
The Brook trout that are in there now will grow well over 20 inches. These are not the same Brook trout in the Smokey's. They have grown over 4 inches in one year. The Brook trout are very aggressive and have a voracious appetite. They just need to be protected since they will not be stocking them anymore.

I had heard from TWRA that they would continue to stock brook trout whenever they are available. Has this changed?

I personally have my doubts about the brook trout growing past 20". Yeah, they grow fast, but they don't live long. In that respect, they are like crappie. It would be awesome to catch a 20"+ brookie but I predict that we'll see the vast majority of the big ones grow to between 14" and 16" and then peter out.

bd

If I recall correctly, As far as the Brook trout in the Clinch, the trout were a "gift" from West Virgina or Virginia ( I can't recall) because of the severe drought is what I remember. I don't recall them saying they would continue to stock Brook trout. I'm already catching 16 inchers. Next year we may see some 18 to 20 inchers.

The 16 inchers I caught though, were VERY slender. I hope they start to fill out like the monster Brook trout I used to catch in the Cascades (7 pounders).

Latest posts