Pond fishing

Buzzard Breath

I thought it was going to be crappy all day so I'd planned on watching the Vols game, then drinking beer and tying flies all afternoon. When I saw the sun start peaking through the clouds I decided to grab a pole and head to a farm pond to try and catch some bass. Boy am I glad I did. Caught a bunch of fish of all sizes. I kept couple for dinner, the fishing dog ate one on the spot, and I released the rest. I'd started out with an olive and white Deciever until I broke it off on the strip set. Then I tied on a chartreuse and white Roamer. Both worked equally well retrieved just below the surface.

20210313_173944.jpg

20210313_155112.jpg

20210313_171353.jpg

Buzzard Breath

does it matter if you tie those with hook pointed up?
I've tied those without any weight other than the weight of the hook and materials, so they'll always ride hook down. Like Mick said, they could easily be tied to ride hook point up. Instead of using stick-on eyes, I could lash in a set of lead dumbell eyes to the top of the hook shank and it would flip the hook over to ride up. If I wanted to, I could also tie them on a jig hook and fish them with a spinning rod.

Without any weight, the bottom fly (The Roamer) stays in the surface film. Sometimes it'll sink an inch or 2, sometimes it floats. I don't have to hardly strip it and it has tons of movement. Looks like a struggling minnow on top.

WTM

I've tied those without any weight other than the weight of the hook and materials, so they'll always ride hook down. Like Mick said, they could easily be tied to ride hook point up. Instead of using stick-on eyes, I could lash in a set of lead dumbell eyes to the top of the hook shank and it would flip the hook over to ride up. If I wanted to, I could also tie them on a jig hook and fish them with a spinning rod.

Without any weight, the bottom fly (The Roamer) stays in the surface film. Sometimes it'll sink an inch or 2, sometimes it floats. I don't have to hardly strip it and it has tons of movement. Looks like a struggling minnow on top.
ah ok thats just glue and stick on eyes. looks good.

BetterDaniel

I always love seeing the guys talk about traveling all the way out to a stream to get skunked knowing you can go to a honey hole like that and just catch blue gill and small mouth all day. Its beautiful. 😅

Latest posts