Plant them and they will grow

BUCK-J

Six years ago we planted 500 sawtooth and 500 persimmons on two different properties . Thru the years I had kind of forgotten about them and couldn't have shown you one of them . We planted some in rows and some just groups but we planted every where we could . The weeds and briars overtook the saplings very quick and I wasn't sure all was lost .

This past summer we found about 25 young persimmons with fruit around some of the roads but I think they were wild . We marked and cleared around each .

After deer season this year we met with a forester to see about getting into the greenbelt to save on taxes . The guy was super informative and the wife and I really enjoyed spending the day with him in the snow . I had told him of the plantings and how I could not show him a single one of them . I remembered him saying the young oaks hold their leaves in the winter .

A few days later I started looking for sawtooths and low and behold they were everywhere . I found out how to tell small persimmons and so far I have found , marked and cleared around 150 6 year old sawtooths and persimmons from a half to two inch diameter base and four to fifteen feet tall .

Since I have cleared around all these trees I was wondering about should I protect the trunk now with tubes and also what and when to fertilize .

Two of the spots that had most of the saplings planted I turned into food plots and so lost them . Another area around a food plot I cleared a little before hunting season last year took out a nice grove of trees that I'm sick about but boy am I tickled to death about what I have found .

String Music

We have been doing the same thing. We planted about the same number of sawtooths a few years ago and have been aggressively releasing them this winter.

Instead of placing tubes around them, I cut the surrounding trees in a way that would protect the trees. I would either cut the trees so they fell right up against the sawtooths or I took the trees that I had cut and placed them around the sawtooths.

I may be completely wrong, but I wouldn't imagine the need to place tubes around them. I haven't found the first rub on any of our sawtooths.

Jarred525

Interesting. I was thinking about planting some sawtooth in areas where I have logged. Other folks on the chat room have said that the regrowth would completely take them over. Also, the stumps would be tough on them competing for water and nutrients. This has me thinking of trying it anyway. Not a huge investment. $0.91 each from TN Dept of Forestry.

String Music

There's always reasons not to do something. We planted sawtooths over 10 years ago and totally neglected them. Most of them are 15 ft tall and producing acorns now. If you plant them, just keep an eye on them. Re-growth isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as there aren't any trees competing with crown space.

BUCK-J

richmanbarbeque said:
This is the first year I had some sawtooths rubbed. Only a few though. I wouldn't worry about tubes.

Only reason I'm worried about them now is some places I cut every thing around except the sawtooths .

What about fertilizer , any ideas .

Latest posts