Pistol loading

backyardtndeer

Added a set of 9mm dies to my order at midsouth that is still waiting for some backordered .270 projectiles.

I have a full brick of Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers. Have read multiple articles saying they are good for 9mm loads. Anyone here use them?

What powders are you using? Probably gonna run 124 grain bullets, or whatever I can manage to find reasonable.

FredRog72

Everything I've read says small rifle will work it just has a little harder cup than small pistol. The only two powders I've used so far are Ramshot Silhouette and Ramshot Zip. Both work for 9mm and 40 s&w and the only two I was familiar with that I could find locally.

Specializedjon

On my Dillon, it doesn't like the small rifle primers for 9mm. I processed a few casings like I would my military 5.56 (resized primer pocket, etc.) and it seemed to work better. I'm not a fan of forcing primers in when I'm reloading, so my problem might be with the way I seat them. In the times we're in we're all gonna have to get creative. Let us know how they came out.

DaveB

CFE pistol for over 8,000 9mm rounds of 115 FMJ and about 200 124 JHP.

I will tell you a very small overcharge-2/10 grain over max, blew up a Sig. low end charges resulted in a lot of stovepipes. Sweet spot was right at 5 gr of CFEPistol for the Sig.

For our Beretta 92FS the 5,4 gr load for 115's is both the accuracy and functional sweet spot. This load repeatedly shoots to the same point of aim and zero malfunctions.

If I were loading for a small 9 I would start slightly below the starting point in the manuals. Pistols are doggone sensitive to very minor charge variances.

If you are on an autoloader I measured (10-10 RCBS Beam) every 10 throws until I was POSITIVE the Lee mechanism was working correctly. I finally stretched that to every 20 then every 50.

backyardtndeer

Nothing fancy here, will be using manual hand prime and a single stage press, and hornady powder measure. I weigh every hunting load on my digital scale. May start the same way with pistol loads.

RodneyO

Added a set of 9mm dies to my order at midsouth that is still waiting for some backordered .270 projectiles.

I have a full brick of Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers. Have read multiple articles saying they are good for 9mm loads. Anyone here use them?

What powders are you using? Probably gonna run 124 grain bullets, or whatever I can manage to find reasonable.
When substituting rifle primers for pistol, reduce starting load 10% at first and work up, they are hotter than pistol. I use Titegroup for all my pistol calibers. Works fine for me.

backyardtndeer

Thanks for the replies. Went ahead on and added silhouette and some rn bullets to my midsouth order since it is in stock. May swing up through clarksville and pick my order up next Friday after I am done with tests at vanderbilt in Nashville.

mr.big

REM 6 1/2s are made for 22 Hornet and other small rifle loads , they are softer than 7 1/2s and most other srp.
I bought a new Smith and Wesson Shield 9 mm yesterday and have 2500 6 1/2s I plan on using in it.

and all small primers rifle and pistol dimensions are supposed to be the same where large pistol and rifle are not.

Hunter 257W

Accurate #7 is the only powder I've ever used in my 9mm carbine. I have one of those old Calico carbines with the log type magazine that sits on top of the gun. I got it when Bill Clinton was squawking about those evil assault rifles. Figured that since they bothered him so much I might as well get one in his honor :) The only bullets I've ever used were FMJ 124 grain to try to duplicate factory loads. Reliable feeding was my main goal. Don't recall any particular brand SP primer being better or worse than another.

backyardtndeer

The Remington small rifle primers in once fired brass using 5.5 gr silhouette with a 115 grain berry round nose yielded ding ding ding on the steel at 25 yards. Very happy with this performance so far. Never been so happy pistol shooting. This could get addicting.

Latest posts