Pig Roaster Rental

BamaProud

You might call around to some of the local BBQ places. Many of them have big trailer rigs that they use at festivals etc... They might rent it yo ya...but I have never heard of one advertised for rent.

redblood

i tell you a technique that has worked for me. buy what you are looking for off craiglist. use it as long as you need it and sell it back for what you paid. i do that quite often.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Most of my Kinfolk in La. use a easy method .If you can get your hands on a old swing set. wrap the pig from head to toe with some fencing 4"x4" squares.Sew up the open sides with heavy wire . Tight enough the pig don't slide around. A chain wrapped around the top bar with a good sized hook will work for hanging. A big hot fire off to the side to produce some of the heat a good shovel to scoop hot coals under the pig. Gloves to turn the pig every 4 to 6 hours.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
These folks have been doing it for a long time and have upgraded from a swing set.Notice the tin in the back to reflect some of the heat.Plenty of wood and lots of hot coals under the pig will get er done.
Should give you the idea.

huntinkev

I have built a pit with 3 sides and lay it flat. tie the wire fencing around the hog. cook about 14 or so hours with meat down and get you a guy on each corner and turn it over. then you can take the wire off and finish cooking. The last one took right at 24 hours. shoveled hickory coals underneath the hog in the pit.

The good part is about midnight when you turn it over you can start picking at the meat, taste testing.

nodog

I know what you mean, have them round here. I haven't been impressed with them since the whole thing ends up shredded pork with BBQ sauce. I was disappointed the first go round, just sandwich's, big whoop.

huntinkev

nodog said:
I know what you mean, have them round here. I haven't been impressed with them since the whole thing ends up shredded pork with BBQ sauce. I was disappointed the first go round, just sandwich's, big whoop.

It is more for the show. You can do it a lot cheaper and quicker if you just cook butts.

DntBrnDPig

I would be pissed off if the whole hog ended up being shredded. However, plan on getting only about 30% yield from it.

I dont know if it tastes any better but it definitely sets the mood for the party.

BamaProud

Here's one for 150.00

http://memphis.craigslist.org/for/3863936444.html

3r33Jb3s45E35s75J5d6bcda4aa7df2301996.jpg

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Nothing wrong with butts but whole hog is more flavorful.We always kept a pan under it to catch some of the drippings to baste it with. You figure whole hog you got the Hide that's sealing in a lot of the juices. You can also use some hide to make Cracklin's.You also have the head for hogshead cheese. When we pull them apart some would be shredded and sauced for sandwiches. The Tenderloins and a shoulder were always put on a pan by themselves .The Jowls usually never made it to the table .
Another good part of hanging them to cook is tying on chickens,rabbits,squirrels,and corn on the cob for the cooks to eat while it's cooking.

treefarmer

My brother-in-law rented a cooker from College Grove a week ago and had a whole pig roast. The pulled pork was great. I found this listing on the internet so it is probably the place: C&F Meat Company in College Grove, TN, 615-395-4819. He said it is expensive but worth it. All the cooking is done by the time the guests arrive so have a buddy or two over during the 18 hour cooking. Have lots of beer available too. My neighbor did this 5 years ago and his turned out great too. It must be almost fool-proof so anyone can do it.

Latest posts