Electric roaster??

Forvols

I don't have one but starting to get into sausage making and looking at using this for a 170* or so water poach vs buying a new smoker for temp control when smoking sausages. I have a WSM smoker, figured maybe a roaster would be a cheaper avenue than buying a new electric smoker when temp control is harder/needed with sausages. I can use the WSM for smoking but think it will need a lot of attention to keep the temp in the 150-175* range for a complete sausage cook. Figure pull sausages off the WSM after an IT of 135* and smoking for a water poach in the electric roaster to an IT of 152-155. Then dry and hang to bloom for a few hours. What you guys got electric roaster wise and how happy are you with the brand?

mike243

I haven't seen very many roasters and would bet a good thermometer will be needed to get the rite temp range,made summer sausage last year and the electric masterbuilt worked great,good luck on finding a good method

WTM

that method is used in one of the Marianski brothers polish sausage books and i imagine it would work for summer sausages. a couple of things to consider: sausage casings compatibility for a hot water bath, length of time in the smoker and a heavy enough smudge to penetrate the casings, keeping a consistent temp to 165 anything much over that and the fat will probably render. as for a water roaster i dont know or may be a gas pot with a candy thermometer would be the cheapest route. what about finishing in an oven and then doing an ice water bath and then hang to bloom?

i replaced the elements on my smokers with one that has a thermostat so its fairly simple. before that i was finishing in the oven.

anyhoo, sounds interesting let us know how it turns out and if its any quicker method.

TX300mag

I use an electric roaster to braise shanks since it's larger. I haven't checked the thermostat against actual temp for accuracy, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forvols

WTM":2jc4y0qc said:
that method is used in one of the Marianski brothers polish sausage books and i imagine it would work for summer sausages. a couple of things to consider: sausage casings compatibility for a hot water bath, length of time in the smoker and a heavy enough smudge to penetrate the casings, keeping a consistent temp to 165 anything much over that and the fat will probably render. as for a water roaster i dont know or may be a gas pot with a candy thermometer would be the cheapest route. what about finishing in an oven and then doing an ice water bath and then hang to bloom?

i replaced the elements on my smokers with one that has a thermostat so its fairly simple. before that i was finishing in the oven.

anyhoo, sounds interesting let us know how it turns out and if its any quicker method.

Yes I have thought about the oven route also followed with a cold water bath after hitting 155IT. I may do my first batch that way smoke until IT of 135-140 then finish off in the oven to IT 155. Followed by cold water bath dry and let bloom at room temp. I got double ovens each goes down to 170* lowest temp. Doing that would be my cheapest route I think.

WTM

you know, i was looking at a recipe for duck/goose mortadella and they was using a sous vide probe to poach them. of course it was a casingless sausage wrap in plastic wrap but i was thinking it might work for what you were trying to do, but they are kinda pricey.

Forvols

WTM":9vuuf2xr said:
you know, i was looking at a recipe for duck/goose mortadella and they was using a sous vide probe to poach them. of course it was a casingless sausage wrap in plastic wrap but i was thinking it might work for what you were trying to do, but they are kinda pricey.

Looking into sous vide probes, but my concern is cased sausages would give off some grease the sausages would not be vacuum sealed or in bags at all for the poaching process and that could mess up the circulation pump or make cleaning a PITA. I found a great deal on one at amazon. It was 249.00 for 99.99 will heat/ maintain temps on a container up to 10 gallons

TX300mag

Forvols":2draa9kl said:
WTM":2draa9kl said:

Looking into sous vide probes, but my concern is cased sausages would give off some grease the sausages would not be vacuum sealed or in bags at all for the poaching process and that could mess up the circulation pump or make cleaning a PITA. I found a great deal on one at amazon. It was 249.00 for 99.99 will heat/ maintain temps on a container up to 10 gallons

That's a good question. I loaned mine out while I'm working this weekend but will get it back on Sunday. I'll take a good look at it and see if it comes apart for a cleaning after running that way.

WTM

yeah i didnt think about that. well what about when its done poaching, a big squirt of Dawn in the pot, let it cycle a bit and run it in a clean pan of hot tap water to finish cleaning it out. might work. as long as the probe is kept hot the grease shouldnt solidify and stop up the pump.

TX300mag

I've been thinking, I'd you were using a sous vide circulator, why not just vacuum seal and cook it that way? I've seen several recipes for sous vide sausage.

Forvols

I think for the summer sausage I will go with finish in the oven. So another question starting 130* no smoke to dry the casing, could I put the summer sausage in my Excalibur dehydrator for that phase then move to smoker for smoke at 150* until IT of 130 or so then to the oven to finish at 170 to IT of 152-155*. I just don't want to lose temp control at the smoker and end up with fat out on the summer sausages. BRATS/ITALIAN will be stuffed, vac sealed and frozen as fresh sausage.

TX300mag

I got to thinking this afternoon about the sausage and sous vide, so I sealed some fresh Italian and dropped it in 153* for a little over an hour. I would have rather given it more time, but the hour was fine.
e68422a2f2eab2913e5c30b80443b8df.jpg

This is how it came out of the bath.
0f8b52eabbeacbc24b6fa6bbf570f909.jpg

Gave it a quick browning.
34fb99e178876205c7f3ef9fbcf7c3c5.jpg

Chopping for homemade pizza. It's in the oven now.

21019b9aefcbcec24ab1750dffcf9f81.jpg

Having complete control over texture and a good margin of error is appealing. I'm going to work this into my smoked sausage this year, just not sure on exact method yet.

I see no reason not to seal it and cook it if you're going to have a sous vide cooker.

TX300mag

At my wife's request, I cooked brats sous vide yesterday. This time I went four hours at 150. The texture this time was great all the way through. It still needed to be seared. We served it with homemade saurkraut and turnip (tater) salad.

Latest posts