Peacock bass in Florida

FourWFarm

I did a 4-hour guided trip out of Ft. Lauderdale back in January. Probably caught a dozen about 12 -16 inches in length.
Also, caught a few Oscars. Both fish fight like saltwater fish.

The guide said they had a cold snap back in December 2022 that took the water under 60 degrees for a few days. That caused many to die, so the fishing had been tough in the area.

Pilchard

General question.
On average, do these typically run larger, smaller, or about the same as what one might expect to catch in Florida fishing top-water lures for largemouths?
Biggest I ever encountered was about 8lbs but I didn't fish for them often. They certainly don't have them north of 20lbs like some parts of the Amazon.

You are normally fishing small, fast-moving lures. Not giant topwaters like you've seen in the jungle.

Pilchard

It's worth mentioning that every roadside ditch and community pond has a good chance of having peacocks in it in that area.

Take a suspending jerk bait with you and pull off the road at any ditch, bridge or pond and you are likely to find a peacock bass.

My sister lives in Miami and they have all sorts of crazy fish in her community pond. Peacocks, knife fish, giant weird catfish, all sorts of colorful exotic stuff.

Grnwing

If you have access to gear, there is a pit/lake that has some nice peacocks in it. Its deep so the cold temps are less likely to impact them. I lived off McNab Rd when we first moved to Florida and figured out the peacocks. Pitching a shiner was a sure fire way to catch them. There is a refrigerator in about 8 ft of water that always had a couple on it as well as a shopping cart. The C-14 canal also has them and a lot of times you can walk the edge and sight cast to them. You can catch them on cranks but a shiner and float will give you a lot of action and you ll catch bass and oscars. Good luck.

Latest posts