Overnight hiking recommendations in SE TN

caseyb73

I'm looking for a place to take my kids (teenagers) hiking where we can camp overnight and then hike back the next day. I know Prentice Cooper has a pretty good loop, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend some other areas. Scenery and wildlife would be a huge plus!

whiskey

South Cumberland is a good area, but being in a drought and since it's hot as all get out, be careful of the water situation. I called the rangers there last week and lots of normal watering holes are dry. It is also deer fly season and they were relentless in Big South Fork this week. I cut my trip short due to the flies and dry conditions.

Walls of Jericho is a nice long day hike with some swimming opportunities.

Just be sure to check on the water situation and plan for around 4 liters or more per person per day.

Brisco Darlin

i agree with whiskey abou the water situation. you get down in the gulf and you might find pockets of water here and there , but with this drought i'm sure it's bad.

Beekeeper

The Tellico area has some good trails to hike on. There are several that you can hike through an area to a pick-up point at a different access. Like others have said, take plenty of water and in the Cherokee keep an eye out for rattlers and bears.