opinions on rangefinders

savageman

who uses a rangefinder for bow or crossbow hunting and is it helpful. I am pondering getting on for this coming season.

bigtex

I wouldn't leave home without mine. I used it with my compound and still use it with my Xbow.
Most times I use it after setting up to range objects around my stand and make mental notes to myself as to how far they are, but I have used it many times to range the animal itself.

ghostfive

What bigtex said. I own two and never go to the woods without one of them. I do exactly the same in my spots, range objects even some I have done for years to give myself a mental check list. I am within 1 yard without the rangefinder after doing this a few times.

But they always seem to step out in that one spot you didn't check so it is good to have it on hand.

Zulu

Ditto previous replies. Your eyeballs can really lie to you in the woods when it comes to range, particularly at a new stand.

morgancountry

Best investment I've made in a long time. I like to range landmarks and certain trees after I get set down, but also have it handy, just in case. Mine gets used year round as it is very helpful on the golf course too.

Ratvol

I missed an 11 pointer last year because these old tired eyes of mine can't judge distance like they used to. I just purchased a Redfield Rangefinder this morning. I'll be prepared this season. I still have nightmares about that missed shot.

wobblegobble

I missed a 13pt 2 yrs ago as well! I underestimated by 10 yards and got him low n back in his back leg and badly wounded him...I took a kid the last day of rifle n he popped him! His hoofs were long and curled , I'm glad he got shot because he suffered for 2 months. So I'm now armed with a finder....my question is why are they so expensive?

ghostfive

wobblegobble said:
I missed a 13pt 2 yrs ago as well! I underestimated by 10 yards and got him low n back in his back leg and badly wounded him...I took a kid the last day of rifle n he popped him! His hoofs were long and curled , I'm glad he got shot because he suffered for 2 months. So I'm now armed with a finder....my question is why are they so expensive?

Congrats on being able to get that deer. They are that expensive I think because we are paying the prices they want. Most of the technology and parts in them aren't that expensive to produce these days. But for bow hunting I won't give more than around $150 for one. I don't need a 1400 yd RF for a 40 yard shot.

Latest posts