opinion on compact tractor needed ....

RidgeRunner

I know this has probably been covered but I couldn't find it in a search. I'm thinking of buying a 20 to 30 hp tractor with a loader and back hoe attachment.What brand would you fellas recommend? and what price range am I looking at?

thanks for your help.

tellico4x4

We bought a 34HP 4WD Kubota this year and love it! Got the tractor, front end loader, bush hog, rotory tiller, whirly bird, landscaping box, and cultipacker for a little less than $20K (already had a disk). Have put approx. 70 hours on it so far at the camp, and now have the best foodplots that we have ever had.

Bought all new stuff, and only plan on using this for the deer camp. With proper maintenance, my grandkids can use this one day to plant my food plots for me! My only regret, is that we should have bit the bullet and done this years ago.

TAS

I am not biased as I do not own a Kubota. I have Fords/Case/IH. My next tractor will be a Kubota as I have seen/used and talked to neighbors that have them. I would go with the biggest that you can afford and you will be happy you did later on.

woodchuckc

I now have 3 Kubotas, ranging from a little BX2200 that I use mostly for cutting my yard up to a 50 HP L5030 that I use for bush hogging, plowing and discing, and heavy loader work. The 5030 is a little big for doing stuff around the house, so I picked up a gently used B7800 (30HP) with a loader a couple of weeks ago. I have been really impressed with the B7800 in the time that I have had it - this weekend I tilled my 1/2 acre garden with the 5' tiller I got with it, and it pulled it like it wasn't even there. I do use my big Kubota for plowing and discing my food plots, but I would not hesitate to recommend using a 5' or 6' disc with the B7800 (it just will take a little longer). Because the B7800 has a quarter inching valve instead of a true position control on the 3-point hitch, I think it would be a little bit of a challenge to use with a plow but I guess it could be done. I never have used a backhoe with a tractor so I can't comment on that. My brother-in-law has a Case backhoe that I borrow when I need one.

I am partial to Kubotas since I have gotten such good service out of them over the years, but truth be told you will probably not have any real problems with any of the newer compact tractors from the major manufacturers. Find the tractor you are most comfortable sitting on and using, and the dealer that you are most comfortable dealing with.

Stoner

I have a New Holland TC30 in 4-wheel drive. I purchased it new for a little under $10,000. No sales tax in Florida because it used in agriculture. I also purchased a 5-foot KingKutter tiller. A lot of fun to used; very good tractor to use for food plots. I also purchased a Covington single row planter mounted on a cultivator.

P1060419.jpg

P1060416.jpg

RidgeRunner

BigAl said:
Anything anyone can recommend in different price range? 20K is way outside of my budget.

The accessories is what run the price up (backhoe attachment is close to 6k). The tractor alone would be alot cheaper than 20k.

northern tool has a 20 hp nortrac with a bushhog and free shiping for $6500.00 and a 30 hp for under 10k...I don't know anything about these tractors but the price seems right.

woodchuckc

Sometimes you can luck up on a good deal, especially if you are patient. I got the Kubota B7800 I purchased a couple of weeks ago with a Bushhog brand loader, 5' mid-mount finish mower, 5' medium duty rotary cutter, 5' box blade, 6' tandem disk, and a brand new 5' King Kutter tiller. The tractor had 204 hours on it and is a 2004 model, and I paid 10,000 for it and all the attachments. It had just been completely serviced, too.

The Chinese tractors (Nortrac, Jinma, etc.) can be a good value up front, but be aware that the "fit and finish" are not going to be the same as a Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Case, Kioti, etc. You might also make sure that when something breaks (and something will break on any tractor at some point in time) you will be able to find parts. There are probably getting to be enough of the Chinese tractors around that parts availability may not be too big of an issue anymore, but also realize that you have to find someone willing to work on it too unless you do all of your mechanic work yourself.

woodchuckc

RidgeRunner said:
woodchuckc said:
I paid 10,000 for it and all the attachments.

I'll give you $10,001.00 for it cash.:grin:

Sorry, I've already been offered $14,000 for it and declined. :)

Just wanted to point out that once in a while even a blind pig finds an acorn (except for maybe this year!).

Hmmm, I guess I just called myself a blind pig :crazy:

BigAl

Thanks for the info, guys. Right now I'm just trying to find something on the used market. I'd prefer a 4wd, 20-30 hp, with front end loader. The rest of the attachments I can pick up as I go along. I'd prefer JD, Kubota, or new holland, but if the right tractor comes along at the right price, ain't no telling.

TAS

Congratulations!!! Your wife will understand, once you start using the bucket and backhoe to do things she wants done!! :D You will be surprised at the projects that come up that are much easier done! :cool:

Latest posts