Older Outboards

redheadshooter

I'm looking at getting a bass boat. I'm looking for a 18-21 ft with at least a 150 hp, preferably 200+. My question for the boat guys is what kind of fuel economy are you getting from your older motors (93-97) and how does it compare to motors from the early 2000's. I'm debating on whether it will be worth it to spend the extra $7k-$10k for a early 2000's model.

pressfit

I had a 90 model johnson 200 gt that would drink 20 gallons per hour at full throttle.. I now have a 2007 175 optimax that will get twice as good of fuel milage..on a bigger and heavier boat..

SilverFox

Just for reference...My 2008 Skeeter ZX225 with the Yamaha HPDI gets about 3 mpg at 70 mph. That's about 21 gallons per hour. At 4500 rpm and 50 miles an hour it gets about 4.5 mpg. That's just over 11 gallons a hour. I do a lot of cruising at 50 mph. It takes me a little longer to get there but it's easier on the wallet.

If I was in the market for a new boat I'd look at the 4 stroke Yamaha SHO motors and an Allison boat. It's rumored Grant Goldbeck is getting 8-9 mpg with the Allison 21 foot and the SHO 225 motor at speed. If you tourney fished or were a guide, the money you save in gas would be incredible. If the rumors are true, he would spend 40 dollars less over an hour long run vs my boat... Not to mention the cost of oil I have. The money you save in gas would pay the boat note. He's been testing the boat the last couple weeks. The final numbers should be out soon.

JimFromTN

If you are comparing a mid 90's 2 stroke to a early 2000's four stroke, its a no brainer. The four stroke will be considerably better. The problem with early 2000's four strokes is that they were still being perfected. Stay away from ficht and any optimax older than 2003. Optimax's got the knick name opti-pops for a reason. If you are comparing 2 stroke to 2 stroke, then you probably won't see much difference in gas consumption. You are paying for a newer motor.

catman529

back when I had my 1432 old sears flat bottom with the 5hp Briggs motor, I calculated something like 25 miles to the gallon. But that was running at about 10-12 mph top speed.

Winchester

Ficht motors are what Bankrupt OMC years ago. The newer fuel injected motors are the way to go these days!

JimFromTN

I was excited when ficht came out. They got all kinds of awards for the technology. I was in the market for a 115hp at the time and was unable to get it in ficht which at the time was disappointing. I ended up with a johnson ocean runner in 115. Probably the best engine I have ever owned. Thank God for timing is all I can say.

Kimberman

My 97 Johnson Venom has been good to me, I on the other hand I have not been good to it! I have had to put 2 lower units on it 6 years. The only problem I had with the motor that wasn't my fault was a fuel pump. I'm sure my gas mileage sucks, but you gotta pay to play.

Latest posts