Old home/barn site

SALTMAN

we just had some land cleared to add to our food plots . Dozier operator showed us some cut stone he turned up that looked to be foundation or fireplace . I took a detector up there which I don't know much about operation . Turned up several nails , most were bent ? Question is , would it be worth more serious searching or would I be wasting my time ? Timber around it appeared to be 60/80 yrs old . Nails were not too old as all had heads on them ( not old cut type ) .

Urban_Hunter

On one hand, never know what could be there

On the other hand, I've been involved in moving two log cabins. Complete dismantle and reassembly. Didnt find anything at either one other than some old broken glass and old medicine bottles. Old man told me, these were people that lived in the middle of nowhere with nothing of value to their name, they sure couldn't afford to just "lose" something of value. Think he was right. No one of that era had stashed of gold coins they just walked away from

Bone Collector

No one of that era had stashed of gold coins they just walked away from
fair point, but what if you were the last man standing so to speak with no one to give your coins to and you died, maybe unexpectedly.... Then you'd be leaving those coins behind whether you wanted to or not.

TnBob

I learned long ago to be persistent. You never know what might turn up. In this area Confederates, the lucky ones that came home, brought things with them. I actually found some sort of medallion from a school up north called Dummer Academy. Thought it was a 2 cent piece until I got the dirt off of it. Would love to know how that got to an old home place in the middle of nowhere.

gtk

Staff member
its not just "valuable" things i used to detect for.

I've found things like metal toy soldiers.
a huge brass skeleton key
1854 1/2 dime
18xx pennies
pieces of old watch's..

all kinds intersting things

Latest posts