old bottles

catman529

I dont have any really old bottles except for a piece broken off the base of a early 1900s coke bottle. It was broken a while ago too. I found it on a gravel bar already somewhat smooth from being in the river so long.

honestly I don't know anything about how to tell what bottles are real old. But the ones that I do like to keep, because they look cool, are these

cokebottles.jpg

the one on the left was found over a year ago on a gravel bar and the one on the right I just picked up in the woods. Nashville and murfreesboro on the bottoms. I think these are 1950s bottles. Anyway they look neat.

If yall have some very old bottles or just some cool looking ones, post up some pics.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Catman when was a kid I used to go bottle hunting with a old timer.He collected some and helped make ends meet by selling some at Flea Markets.He would get permission to hunt at old home sites.Most of them he knew where the old out house was at.It was pretty common after plumbing got installed in a home to fill up the outhouse hole with trash.He would poke around with a iron rod till he found the right spot then switch over to a Long PVC rod.He had one with a hook on it and another with a wire loop.It was amazing to see the old bottles and jars come out of the ground.

in the dog house

I had a bunch of old Mountain Dew bottles that had an old man turning up a moonshine jug on with the phrase " it'll tickle your innards " on the bottle. Thought that was funny. Wish I knew were they all are now. I had about 30 of em. One way to tell the age of a bottle is the seem on the bottle. If it is just in the neck its, If I remember correctly, before 1950s. If the seem goes all the way down it a later bottle. No seem at all then your talking very old.

bbuck14

If I remember right I think you can check the age on a Coke bottle on the bottom of it. I could be wrong though, its been many years since I've looked.

geezer

You should go down to Hillsboro across from Sonic where they are digging, That was a old dump site for the city back in the 50s and 60s. They are pulling up lots of old bottles now that will be lost forever. I went down there and talked to the site man and he said help myself but I was looking for rocks. I saw old brown Clorox/Purex bottles and several others.

Mudbone

geezer said:
You should go down to Hillsboro across from Sonic where they are digging, That was a old dump site for the city back in the 50s and 60s. They are pulling up lots of old bottles now that will be lost forever. I went down there and talked to the site man and he said help myself but I was looking for rocks. I saw old brown Clorox/Purex bottles and several others.
Ill b checking that out!

catman529

Mudbone said:
geezer said:
Ill b checking that out!
That would explain all the bottles and glass junk down in the river there. I found some cool looking medicine bottles and stuff last summer. I'll have to check it out.

I found a dump site on the bluff across the river from the sewer plant also. But the best I could find was a '50s coke bottle that had been melted in a burn. Didn't do any digging around though.

Kirk

I found an old farm dump site on my property. It has all kinds of old glass in it. Most of it appears to be from 20's and 30's. Some old medicine bottles and some other bottles of various size.

FOX FIRE

Seems like all the old houses I remember from my youth had a trash pile out back, what a time capsule that is now days, something always interesting to find.