"off the shelf" ?

thebeard

how many of you guys shoot "off the shelf" as opposed to an elevated rest of some sort?

just got my first recurve (bear kodiak magnum)....and i am fired up about trying to get good at it....

Phil Floyd

Probably most trad shooters shoot off the shelf. Shooting off an elevated shelf certainly has its followers.

Like a lot of other stuff, it boils down to personal preference.

roadracer

I have not noticed a difference in my level of accuracy between the two. I shoot a pse coyote with an elevated rest and a bear off the shelf. I totally suck so take this with a grain of salt.

Francis

Most of the traditional clubs require that you shoot from off the shelf, unless the shelf has a really high curvature, as some (rare) recurves do. If you shoot off of the shelf, you almost have to use fletchings instead of vanes. With a flip or drop rest, the vanes are not an issue. In traditional shooting off the shelf, the vanes will not compress when riding over the shelf, and causes the arrow to porpoise up and down, which causes a longer recovery time and a loss of accuracy. The only way to overcome this is a high nock and even then it still occurs. The family and I started shooting traditional a few years ago (see traditional sched 2008 post) and I almost hate using the compound anymore. It is so much more fun shooting traditional, but instinctual shooting is so much more challenging and/or rewarding in my opinion. With this said, my 14 yr old daughter is the best shot in the family......

Latest posts