Oak Ridge This Weekend

BD1

I was excited to get drawn on the Oak Ridge hunt this weekend. I got drawn last year and it was a great hunt, but I checked the weather and it's going to be 70 degrees on Saturday. I'm going with a good attitude but this is not good, especially for December.

WilcoKen

Seems like the weather has been messed up all season starting with archery. Either too warm, raining or both. At least my heat bill s lower.

Dmcclendon

I got the nov archery hunt as well as this hunt .I saw several bucks from the stand one i wish i had shot, very nice 10pt but i saw a giant while scouting so i let him walk and never saw the big boy.I will be in the same tree this Saturday ,, never know

JeepKuntry

Unseasonably warm this coming weekend for all of the state. This is the only weekend I get to hunt my in laws. Feeling down about the weather but I'm gonna concentrate on the field real early and real late and spend time with family.

mattmillard510

I'll be there with little to no expectations. Saw several deer on the November hunt but we had excellent weather and it was the middle of November. I wouldn't miss it for the world and will hunt hard regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winchester

Weather definitely not forecasted to be optimum but you cant kill them from the couch! Daylight movement likely be reduced but the # of hunters alone will have some movement going on. Good luck!

BD1

I got drawn on the Nov hunt as well and the weather was great. I tried a new spot that looked awesome and hard to get to by others. I didn't see anything on Saturday. I went back to my old faithful spot on Sunday and had two on me early that morning. A little four point followed my footprints to my tree like a little puppy and still didn't know what was going on. I know there is a big boy in there but didn't see him. I didn't think there was alot of hunters on the Nov hunt and that may have slowed movement some. I hope there are more hunters this weekend to keep them moving since the weather is not going to be warm.

Dmcclendon

hope he comes by you ,,Im going back to tower shielding where i saw a giant on scouting day in november

cbdunn21

I'm in the bow area, but haven't seen any or heard anything yet. Anyone else having any luck yet?

mattmillard510

In tower shielding and have seen nothing but two hunters. One came strolling by at 845am? Why are you not in a tree at that point lol

Hunted the same spot in November and saw several deer. Hoping things clear out a little tomorrow.

The warm weather definitely isn't helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbdunn21

Hit a good 8 point at about 5. 15 yards, spot looked good. However, I saw him run about 80 yards and stop for 5 minutes, then turn hard left back across a creek and slowly up the hill. Couldn't see any obvious wound on the exit side when he turned but he was almost 100 yards away. My arrow passed through and has blood on it but I see no blood within 10 yards of shot. I am shooting g5 t3 broadheads and 1 side was fully deployed and the clip looked normal. On the other 2 sides, the blades appeared to not be deployed and the clips were bent backwards. I think I am going to chance coyotes and back out, but honestly, if 2 blades didn't deploy, I am worried I won't get him. Anyone else use t3 that can comment on how blades and clips looked when the arrow was recovered?

cbdunn21

Here is the head rotated all 3 ways. Notice the way the clip looks on the deployed blade vs the other 2 non deployed blades. It's hard for me to imagine they didn't deploy with the clips bent back like that, but it is also hard for me to believe that they both went all the way back forward on their own. I've shot a bear with these heads but never a deer. Do you all think those 2 blades deployed or not?

Attachments

• 20151212_172159.jpg
    20151212_172159.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 20151212_172145.jpg
    20151212_172145.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 20151212_172137.jpg
    20151212_172137.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,143

AXL78

I don''t think it looks like the 2 deployed. I don't think they would go back in that position. Doesn't seem very saturated in blood. Do you think you may have just clipped the deer with that one side, causing only one blade to deploy.

cbdunn21

Well things certainly don't always end up like you expect, but the shot looked like it was behind the front shoulder in the middle of the deer which might be a little low considering the angle. He just caught my scent and had bounded 10 yards and stopped so the shot was kind of sudden. I'm wondering if his front leg was back making the shot look better than it was. I even questioned gut as the arrow isn't too bloody. It does have a smell, but not a bad smell and there isn't any obvious gut material.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I shoot those t3's as well. I think it's possible they didn't deploy if they were jammed too tightly when set. I always check mine when I get into stand.