NWSG questions

Tater

I have a few acres i'm fixing to doze. I'm looking into what to plant and the warm season grasses look interesting. I'm wanting some permanent that can be grazed by cattle and maybe cut for hay. The hay part isnt real important. Any pointers where to look,get seed and planting dates.
Thanks

Swampster

NWSG may fit your bill. You'll have to give it a couple of years to estabish though. While it is great for grazing or haying, you can't over-do it. It shouldn't be grazed or cut as low as normal pasture grasses.

UTK has a good publication - I no longer have the link or I would send it. Your local Conservation officer can help you, or your local Quail Unlimited chapter. Lot of sources for seed from your local co-op to mail order sources. Your local conservation office can also tell you if there are any cost share funds for what you want to do. Most of these are geared toward wildlife so would not apply to the uses you suggest, but in the past, I have seen them advertise programs for pasture establishment.

This stuff is very deep rooted so it is more drought resistant as long as you don't overgraze. It is also beautiful to see at this time of the year with seed heads five, six, and even seven feet tall.

Latest posts